Chick pipped wrong end of egg

peepers93

Songster
7 Years
Mar 25, 2017
Today is day 22 for my current batch of CL eggs. One pipped on the wrong end the night before last - so it's been approximately 36 hours. It began trying to zip last night but hasn't made much progress...it's zipped maybe an inch or so. How much longer should I wait before assisting? I'm just worried it's going to be too tired to hatch after all this time.

Also, I had 5 pip and hatch between yesterday afternoon and this morning. There are 3 other eggs that haven't pipped yet. How long should I give them before candling to check if they're still alive? I did confirm they were alive when they went into lockdown.

If the one that pipped the wrong end actually started zipping and stopped, I'd continue the zip around the egg for it. Don't pull the chick out, but see if it will push out on its own.

how pointy is the egg? many times, wrong end pippers do fine on their own, but sometimes they just get too cramped (especially if it's real pointy, or if the air cell gets in the way on the other end)

As you pull that one out (quickly and carefully) you could quickly candle the remaining eggs and check for life. Just try not to let humidity drop too much.

good luck

IMG_3514.JPG

If the one that pipped the wrong end actually started zipping and stopped, I'd continue the zip around the egg for it. Don't pull the chick out, but see if it will push out on its own.

how pointy is the egg? many times, wrong end pippers do fine on their own, but sometimes they just get too cramped (especially if it's real pointy, or if the air cell gets in the way on the other end)

As you pull that one out (quickly and carefully) you could quickly candle the remaining eggs and check for life. Just try not to let humidity drop too much.

good luck
Thanks, that's what I was thinking about doing. I just pulled it out and chipped the shell off all the way around the egg. I left the membrane alone for now, hopefully it can get out.

I did check the others too, I think they're dead unfortunately.

20171019_082018.jpg

She's out! She was struggling and pushing but couldn't get through the membrane so I pulled her back out and helped her along a bit. The membrane was pretty dry around the hole she had made and I think that's why she couldn't get out. Once I moistened it and pulled it apart a bit she kicked the shell right off! She's now back in the incubator in a Tupperware bowl so the others don't crush her while she's recovering.

Back
Top Bottom