Chick pipped wrong end

lagraham123

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
What should I do? It's been a few hours and its not out yet. I can see it breathing, but I now see feathers. I can't tell where it's beak is? It's been zipping its way around.

What should I do? It's been a few hours and its not out yet. I can see it breathing, but I now see feathers. I can't tell where it's beak is? It's been zipping its way around.

I think at this point I would help it.. Its pretty much zipped its way around and if its been awhile since you saw it trying more I don't see the harm in it... There is a link here on helping a chick hatch that you should follow tho..

How long has it been since the first pip? What is the humidity? Can you hear it? Does it sound as strong as it did an hour ago? I'd wait, it should be out of the shell on it's own by morning. chicks usually work for a while, rest for a while, then work some more. If it's zipping, it's doing fine, though, it does appear to be zipping low on the shell. If you do choose to intervene, go slowly, and stop at the first sign of bleeding. It may have some surface blood vessels that need to dry up first, or it could still have unabsorbed yolk. Good luck. Keep us posted.

when it's beak gets to the bottom, I would rotate it so the beak is facing upward again for fear of drowning (have seen this in malpositioned eggs with pip on wrong end)
since it IS zipping, I would let it try and finish hatching itself!

Thank you everyone. She finally hatched @1am!!! Another a few hours later. We are up to 3 now! We also have a few more pips! 10 made it to lock down out of 12. 1 of the pips also pipped the wring end, so we will see!!

So how long should I really keep them in the incubator? I'm planning to start heating the brooder this morning? Should I leave them in there longer til everyone hatches?

I lost my first baby :( she was moving around this morning. Had pipped wrong end. The chicks rolled her around. I noticed she stopped breathing. She wasn't ready to be born. I took her out and opened her up, she never absorbed her yolk sac. :( rip sweet baby.

Argh, so sorry about the baby chick, it's been nature selection though.

Congrats for the hatch.

Start from hatching, the baby chick can stay up to 48 hours without eating. If the whole eggs already hatch or there is no more egg have probability to hatch, you can move the whole babies to the brooder. As for me, I will wait for up to 48 hours from first hatch.

Once more, congratulation.. :)

Thank you. :) Any idea what I should do with the baby who didnt make it, or any eggs that don't hatch?

Back
Top Bottom