Chick pipped wrong end

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lagraham123, Feb 23, 2014.

1. lagraham123

lagraham123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    What should I do? It's been a few hours and its not out yet. I can see it breathing, but I now see feathers. I can't tell where it's beak is? It's been zipping its way around. [​IMG]

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I think at this point I would help it.. Its pretty much zipped its way around and if its been awhile since you saw it trying more I don't see the harm in it... There is a link here on helping a chick hatch that you should follow tho..

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How long has it been since the first pip? What is the humidity? Can you hear it? Does it sound as strong as it did an hour ago? I'd wait, it should be out of the shell on it's own by morning. chicks usually work for a while, rest for a while, then work some more. If it's zipping, it's doing fine, though, it does appear to be zipping low on the shell. If you do choose to intervene, go slowly, and stop at the first sign of bleeding. It may have some surface blood vessels that need to dry up first, or it could still have unabsorbed yolk. Good luck. Keep us posted.

4. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    when it's beak gets to the bottom, I would rotate it so the beak is facing upward again for fear of drowning (have seen this in malpositioned eggs with pip on wrong end)
    since it IS zipping, I would let it try and finish hatching itself!

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Well??[​IMG]

6. lagraham123

Mar 11, 2013
    Thank you everyone. She finally hatched @1am!!! Another a few hours later. We are up to 3 now! We also have a few more pips! 10 made it to lock down out of 12. 1 of the pips also pipped the wring end, so we will see!!

7. lagraham123

Mar 11, 2013
    So how long should I really keep them in the incubator? I'm planning to start heating the brooder this morning? Should I leave them in there longer til everyone hatches?

8. lagraham123

Mar 11, 2013
    [​IMG] I lost my first baby :( she was moving around this morning. Had pipped wrong end. The chicks rolled her around. I noticed she stopped breathing. She wasn't ready to be born. I took her out and opened her up, she never absorbed her yolk sac. :( rip sweet baby.

9. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Argh, so sorry about the baby chick, it's been nature selection though.

Congrats for the hatch.

Start from hatching, the baby chick can stay up to 48 hours without eating. If the whole eggs already hatch or there is no more egg have probability to hatch, you can move the whole babies to the brooder. As for me, I will wait for up to 48 hours from first hatch.

Once more, congratulation.. :)

10. lagraham123

Mar 11, 2013
    Thank you. :) Any idea what I should do with the baby who didnt make it, or any eggs that don't hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by