1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick play pen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by animalwild, Mar 26, 2017.

1. animalwild

animalwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    I have 8 chicks right now and getting them used to my hands (petting and holding). I will put them in a little play pen so it's easier to see them and for them to see me. I made it out of two old shoe boxes and am wondering if the lip in between the two is too big. They can get across it just fine, but I'm worried they might hurt themselves and just wanted somebody else's opinion/advice. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The blue box is their regular brooder and the other is the "play pen"

2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    The little shoe box playpen looks fine for now but keep in mind chicks grow fast and they'll outsize those shoe boxes in no time at all, so I hope you have some ideas in mind for a larger play area if that's something you want to keep doing.

3. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    If they can fly over the lip of the play pen, they will be able to fly over the lip of that box in no time at all.

4. animalwild

animalwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    I have one that likes to escape and that's fine bc I never leave them unsupervised in it. They are just content to stay inside the box, once they are older I let the just go loose in the basement in the room they are kept in. Just wondering if it would hurt their legs at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by