Chick pooping blood

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chris2pa, Aug 22, 2009.

1. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I had these symptoms show up in one of my chicks yesterday(only with a 5 day old chick-which I lost early this morning) and it was cocci.

I don't know where you are located, but a Rural King or Tractor Supply should have the meds. If you happen to call TSC, don't tell them it's for poultry, it is marketed for cattle, just tell them you need Corid(Cocci-Rid) or Sulmet.

Good luck to you!

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Once you see blood, intestinal damage is already done. You have to get rid of the parasite problem and quickly to stop further damage and death.

3. bgossett

bgossett Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Ky
    I have the same problem so I went and got the 20 percent prouder for cattle. How much do I use for chickens

4. ThePeackockGuy

ThePeackockGuy New Egg

Mar 28, 2013
    Are chicks are showing symptoms of coccidiostat and one has died.We got corid pellets but don't know how to give to chicks.Please help.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Dosage for Corid powder is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water,treat all chicks for 5 days. Do not give vitamins during treatment,give vitamins after treatment.

6. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Corid pellets? Do you mean medicated starter feed? You need to purchase Corid(amprol) Dosage for Corid powder is - 1/2 tsp per gallon of water, Dosage for Corid liquid is - 2 tsp per gallon of water. Treat all chicks for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment,give vitamins after treatment. Medicated starter feed will not prevent cocci,and if your chicks have cocci,medicated feed will not help them at this point.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  7. ThePeackockGuy

ThePeackockGuy New Egg

Mar 28, 2013
    The bag say 1.25% pellets type c medicated feed coccidiostat for calves.Say corid at the the top.

8. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    No,this is medicated starter feed for calves? What kind of feed were they on before? You need to purchase Corid(amprol) it comes in powder or liquid. Should be able to purchase at feed store. Dosage for Corid power is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water, Dosage for Corid liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water. Treat all chicks for 5 days, do not give vitamins during treatment,give vitamins after treatment is complete.

9. ThePeackockGuy

ThePeackockGuy New Egg

Mar 28, 2013
    They were on medicated chicken food and mixed in a little bit of what we feed older chickens (scratch mixed with laying pellets)

10. ThePeackockGuy

ThePeackockGuy New Egg

Mar 28, 2013
    On the bag it say an aid in the prevention and treatment of coccidiosis. should I take it away from the chicks, can it hurt them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by