Chick Pooping Blood?

Americanaluver

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
NH
Well, 2 days ago I got some chicks at the Swap on Sunday, treated for mareks have their shots, etc. The chicks were 4 days old then and are now 6, tiny little fluffy silkie chicks, I was cleaning their bums off because the fluff on there bum was catching so much poo it was crusting over, I noticed some weird orangy poo from the little white silkie,(may I add the others are brown and black) I cleaned it off and was like, ok, its not blood right? Its probably just from the food she's been eating(may I add they're eating medicated food) so, I left it as is and ignored it, but, I just went to check on them again to see if anyone else needed a cleaning that I missed when I saw one of my black silkies with an orange blob on her wing, so, I picked it off and put it on a towel to look at it, it had almost vain looking things in it, but, the hole thing was orange and it was like... Jello almost! But, there was a little hard triangle on it and I picked that off and it looked like, well, normal poo! I looked at all there bums and none had the orange till it came down to the white one and only her, I picked her up and sure enough she had it! Shes to young to be having first timer eggs, I looked at her bum some more and found some red poo, now, I'm getting worried, she does still have normal brown and white poo, but, she is having red or orange poo more often now and I wanted to make sure she didn't have anything. I also wanted to add on, I got 4 polish and one of the black ones, most likely the youngest, about... maybe a week old keeps pooing really watery poops, still has some brown and white in it, but, it is very watery all together in my say, any ideas on whats going on with these chicks?

Well, it could be a little diarrhea if it is every poop, but you are also describing what is known as a ceacal poop. Ceacal poop is loose, brown (can be orangish brown), smelly and perfectly normal. They occur about every 8th to 10th poop.

It is also common for new chicks to have loose stools when they've been stressed by being moved around. Getting chilled can also cause it. I would let them get settled for a day or so, keep them comfortably warm and on good starter feed and clean water. Add some Quik Chik or other brand of electrolyte solution if you can get it. If they are eating and drinking and otherwise acting normally, I wouldn't worry about a couple of days of loose stools. If it doesn't go away after that, you may want to search this forum for myriad diarrhea remedies.

UGCM

Are they on medicated chick feed? The medication is a coccistat whose purpose is to control the amount of the protozoa coccidiosis. All chickens have it, but babies need some help until they can build an immunity to it.

If the chick is pooping blood, she may need something stronger than just medicated feed, some Corrid or other cocci medication. You'll need to find out from a search about the dosage.

You might also get them some electrolytes for their drinking water (read the dosage carefully) and give them a mashed egg yolk for extra nutrition.

Good luck, Mary

Back
Top Bottom