chick problem!!!!!!!!

okie16

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
Central Oklahoma
A week or so ago I asked about one of my 12 chicks that wasn't getting its feather's. It still has no feather's and now has large bare spots on its body. I'm guessing the other chicks are picking on it. What should I do???

I am posting to bring this back to the top for you...also suggestions...

Can you separate that chick so the others cannot peck at it?

There is something that can be put on the chick that keeps the chicks from pecking (supposedly)...hopefully one of the older hands will jump in here with more info.

thank you. I could put it in another brooder, but didn't know what would happen when they are all old enough to go into the coop.

have you looked in the injury part of the forum for info? Also read the info pages on raising babies...there has got to be the mention of what to do in that situation. I have read it but cannot remember where...
sad.png

Last edited:
What breed and how old? My Blue Orpington cockerels are fairly bald for a couple of weeks just because their down falls out and the feathers are very slow to come in. Sometimes, cockerels feather out like that. Could be feather picking, which happened one time in my nursery coop when 4 Delawares plucked 7 Speckled Sussex in two hours time, but they drew blood and I had to bluekote the poor things and separate the perpetrators.
See the chick in the back top right? That bald thing is a blue Orpington cockerel at three weeks old. And the next pic is the following week.
DCP_5647.jpg

DCP_5674.jpg

Last edited:
Look. this may be it. The lamp is too slow. causing it to be hot. which will make feathers fall out. Also will happen if chicks pile up on it making it hot. you could try raising a lamp. or something.. hope this helps..

Thanks everyone. I will post a pic of the chick tomorrow. Its one of my bantams and they were all mixed at the store so I don't know what kind it is, I don't recall seeing any bleeding.

Back
Top Bottom