Chick pulling her own wing

Roger98

Songster
Mar 16, 2018
I tried to get an answer about this on a different thread but it was unhelpful. She's yanking at her own wings, like she wants to pull it off, not like when they preen. She's AGGRESSIVELY pulling at them. Please tell me how to stop this, she's now much smaller than the other chicks and I think she'd get hurt if I put her back with the others.

Can you post some video footage, so that we can see what you are seeing? You need to upload it to YouTube or similar and then post a link.
It suggests that she is either in pain or irritated by them. Has she been brooded by a hen or in a brooder? How old is she? Have you checked for lice?

I had a bantam doing this, also the smallest in the group. He would grab his own wing and yank it so aggressively that he would flip himself over. His feathers are still frayed and messed up from it. He stopped after a few days though, so I would just keep an eye on yours. I have no idea why he was doing it... I rather suspect he had gotten very hungry during shipping and was trying to eat his own feathers because as he discovered the feeder and realized that it was always full the behavior tapered off.

Back
Top Bottom