Chick Questions: brooder, medicated vs unmedicated feed, etc

BriannaG

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2022
Cape Cod, MA
Hi everyone! I'm having 22 chicks delivered in late March, and am working on prepping my brooder space. I have some questions that I'm hoping you can help me with!

1. Medicated vs unmedicated feed. The chicks will be vaccinated for mareks, not coccidiosis. So I was leaning towards medicated feed to be on the safe side. But I'm nervous about messing with their vitamin absorption, especially after the stress of transport. I also read that silkies should not be fed medicated feed (more prone to vitamin deficiencies and wry neck?) I'm not getting any silkies, but I am getting 2 silked Easter Eggers so I do worry that they may be more sensitive like silkies. I was thinking I might start on unmedicated feed for the first week to make sure they're getting all the vitamins, then switch to medicated after a week, at which point I'll begin introducing them to clumps of grass with dirt from the yard, just little bits every couple of days. Then plan to keep them on medicated until they've transitioned to their outside coop & run for 2 weeks. Does this sound like a good idea?? Should I skip the medicated feed all together because of the silked Easter Eggers?

2. Puppy pads. These are safe right? I was planning to use just puppy pads for the first few days, then add flaked pine shavings on top after that. But I've seen some people saying the pee pads are not safe, and contain ammonia that may burn the chicks feet??

3. Grit. When I start introducing elements from outside, should I give them grit as well? Or will the dirt be enough?

4. Perches. When to add to brooder space? I was going to use branches from around the yard for them to jump/climb/perch on, would this be okay?

5. Trips outside. At what age do you usually start taking them for trips outside? I know this also depends on the weather but just in general?

Thank you for any insight!

I use unmedicated feed- I also offer garlic water and also apple cider vinegar water occasionally from a young age. Honestly if this makes a difference or not I do not know but I like getting them used to this type of water from a young age.

I’ve never used puppy pads but I have used towels or blankets which has worked fine for me.

I offer grit before I offer any additional foods (anything that’s not chick crumb) I haven’t heard of any downsides to offering grit so it’s better to be on the safe side in my opinion.

I add additional things to the brooder once chicks start showing interest in jumping on things (like their heat plate)

Adding things from outside in small amounts helps chicks to build immunity.

I don’t have a set age but if it’s warm outside my chicks go out- temps here fluctuate a lot so it really does depend what temps we are getting but if the weather is right they go out. I bring them out at first for just 15 minutes and build their time. If chicks start budding together it’s too cold bring them in. Usually they will let you know!

The first couple of days they are really cute and the poop is minimal, and then they really kick it into high gear. You may find that paper towels would be less expensive and you can replace them more often to keep things clean but not waste $.

My chicks have loved a tray of dirt and a thick (but low) branch as enrichment items, I put these in once they look a bit sturdier and start getting real feathers in. They love it! Just make sure that it doesn't give them a higher jumping off point to get out of the enclosure. Or place strategically.

My first chicks I did medicated feed and subsequent rounds, I have skipped it. I'm not sure if they are really at risk until they go outdoors, and my patience for wrangling scared chicks has gotten thin so mine don't go outdoors as much until The Big Move.

Good luck! You will love them.

1. Medicated vs unmedicated feed. The chicks will be vaccinated for mareks, not coccidiosis. So I was leaning towards medicated feed to be on the safe side. But I'm nervous about messing with their vitamin absorption, especially after the stress of transport. I also read that silkies should not be fed medicated feed (more prone to vitamin deficiencies and wry neck?) I'm not getting any silkies, but I am getting 2 silked Easter Eggers so I do worry that they may be more sensitive like silkies. I was thinking I might start on unmedicated feed for the first week to make sure they're getting all the vitamins, then switch to medicated after a week, at which point I'll begin introducing them to clumps of grass with dirt from the yard, just little bits every couple of days. Then plan to keep them on medicated until they've transitioned to their outside coop & run for 2 weeks. Does this sound like a good idea?? Should I skip the medicated feed all together because of the silked Easter Eggers?

I would suggest using unmedicated feed, but buy Corid (medicine to treat coccidiosis) so you have it right there if needed. That should give you the best of all options: no medication if not needed, but prompt treatment if they do need it. The correct level of medication is different if you are treating a known problem (higher) or just trying to keep one from starting (lower.)

4. Perches. When to add to brooder space? I was going to use branches from around the yard for them to jump/climb/perch on, would this be okay?

That should be fine. I would watch how the chicks move: if they are still tripping over their own feet, wait on the perches. When they are running around just fine, you can put the perches in whenever you like. They become good at running quite quickly, so probably less than a week.

Your chicks will appreciate any branches that you give them - I used logs. I wouldn't worry too much about when to take them outside - in my experience they'll be fine as long as they are fully feathered and it's not really cold. Shelter from the elements is the most important. As long as you gradually increase access to grass etc., you can put them in an outdoor coop once they're off heat.

Good luck!

That should be fine. I would watch how the chicks move: if they are still tripping over their own feet, wait on the perches. When they are running around just fine, you can put the perches in whenever you like. They become good at running quite quickly, so probably less than a week.
Very true. Chicks are hardier than we treat them. They are fragile in the first few days, but after that they'll be exploring.

Thank you for all of the feedback! Very helpful!! 

Also wondering what you would recommend for a feeder for 22 chicks?

Also, I was planning on using nipple waterers, how many should I have for that many chicks?

Thanks again!

I wish I could help more but I don't have that much knowledge. I've always the round feeders and they work really well because the chicks don't usually poop in them. Maybe one with legs that can be lifted once they grow? This keeps the food cleaner.

I've never used nipple waterers but I would imagine around 6-8? This is around 1 per 3 chicks so they always have access.

Thank you for all of the feedback! Very helpful!! 

Also wondering what you would recommend for a feeder for 22 chicks?

Also, I was planning on using nipple waterers, how many should I have for that many chicks?

Thanks again!
For new chicks you could put a feeder on a block to raise it up so shavings don’t get into it. Once they’re zipping around then a hanging feeder may prevent less waste. I think there are some 5-7 lb feeders out there, maybe TSC but you will need a bigger one eventually for 22 chicks.

Back
Top Bottom