Chick Questions!!!!!!

DuckiesGarden

Songster
7 Years
Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all! I need some advice! I have new chicks coming in a few days and I can't get any chick starter around here, the place I planned on getting it from closed down! We live out in the romulan zone and I can't get into town til wed. or thurs. What can I give them til then? Everywhere I look online says chick starter is a must. Is this discussed somewhere on here already? Also, can I use a regular lightbulb to keep them warm? I used the woodstove with my last batch with great results but it's just too warm right now to keep it fired up! Would the bulb work inbetween cool spells? I've been raising chickens for more than 5 years but feel like an idiot right now for not being better prepared for setbacks! Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Also, just for fun, I'm getting salmon faverolles,mottled houdans,speckled sussex,light brahmas, and rhode island reds. The reds I've had before but the others are new to me. I've researched quite a bit but would love to hear any firsthand experiences with the others! I don't get to chat chicken very often living out here so any tidbits would be lovely! Thanks!!!!!
frow.gif

what feed do you have? you could add scrambled egg to boost protien until you CAN get chick food. but get them chick food as soon as possible.

bulb should work depending on number of chicks. 95 degrees week one dropping 5 degrees each week until about 6 weeks or so

RobertH

I've got plenty of eggs! I've also got cracked corn I feed the big chickens, oatmeal, cornmeal, wheat flour... Lots of pantry items. Any of these work? I can get worms and such out of the yard too if they can have them this early. I shouldn't have waited til the last minute for the starter, I had no idea the little feed store had closed! I'm getting 26 or so chicks so maybe 2 bulbs?

Well, the first ingredient in chick starter (mine at least) is grain products. I'd say oatmeal, cornmeal, wheat flour all mixed together with some scrambled eggs would work! I started giving my chicks worms at 3 days old. Some people on here say not to, some say it's ok...I think it's personal preference. If chicks were with mama hen, they'd be eating all sorts of bugs and greens from the yard! I agree with an above poster...get chick start as soon as possible...but until then, I'd feed them all your grains mixed together listed above.

As for the light bulb...I was using the standard 250 watt with my first batch of chicks. I started to with my second batch, but it was just too daggone hot so I switched to a regular 75 watt bulb...at a week old. They are fine! Sometimes they crowd underneath...but most of the time they are spread all over the brooder, snoozing away. I do NOT believe they need to be kept at 95 degrees constantly. They are not when with mama hen. The snuggle underneath to warm up, then they are out and about searching for food. When they get cold, back up under mama hen they go. Just keep the light lower than you normally would to keep them closer to the heat, but not too low.

I am not an expert, this is just my opinion and what I would do if in your situation.

thanks!!! i'm feeling better! they only have to make it a day or two so hopefully they'll be ok! plus i ordered an electrolyte/vitamin supplement w/them so i hope that'll help too!!

Hi all! I need some advice! I have new chicks coming in a few days and I can't get any chick starter around here, the place I planned on getting it from closed down! We live out in the romulan zone and I can't get into town til wed. or thurs. What can I give them til then? Everywhere I look online says chick starter is a must. Is this discussed somewhere on here already? Also, can I use a regular lightbulb to keep them warm? I used the woodstove with my last batch with great results but it's just too warm right now to keep it fired up! Would the bulb work inbetween cool spells? I've been raising chickens for more than 5 years but feel like an idiot right now for not being better prepared for setbacks! Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Also, just for fun, I'm getting salmon faverolles,mottled houdans,speckled sussex,light brahmas, and rhode island reds. The reds I've had before but the others are new to me. I've researched quite a bit but would love to hear any firsthand experiences with the others! I don't get to chat chicken very often living out here so any tidbits would be lovely! Thanks!!!!!
frow.gif

If you've raised chickens for "more than 5 years", I find it hard to believe you don't realize you need all the equipment and feed prior to receiving chicks. I've dealt with irresponsible people enough in regard to animals. I have little patience anymore. Get off your duff and find a way to get the necessities before those chicks arrive!

I planned on giving them clumps of greens with dirt to scratch in. That should give em grit right? Maybe some sand too? My big chickens are free range, i don't give them grit since they're getting it from nature so i don't have any handy. i'm going to stock up on EVERYTHING when i get into town! i don't want to be in a fix like this again!

Back
Top Bottom