chick rejested by mom

Keltic Fitz

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 13, 2012
Santee Ca
I had a chick that was rejected by it's mother about five days after birth. I saved the little one from being killed by the flock. I am nursing it back to health. So the question is can I reintroduce the chick to its mother? If not can i get some other chick and introduce them to t without having those chick attack it? I just do not want the chick to grow up without others around it.

You can but I would avoid trying to put it in with the flock without mother hen's protection. A couple of chicks, yes that would be okay with your close supervision to ensure a smooth introduction and bonding. I would also wait to do this until your chick seems 100% healthy.

Was it an only chick? You can get another chick the same age, and place them in a brooder together to raise. I wouldn't get one more than a week in age difference. If there were other chicks in the same brood, I would raise them together. Don't place the chick back with it's mother, because she will attack it.

When raising chicks with a momma hen, the more chicks that you have with the hen (within reason) the better the outcome will likely be. With only one or two chicks the hen has way to much time on her hands to examine her brood for defects either real or imagined and decide to act on her suspicions.

Back
Top Bottom