Hteeter2

Songster
Mar 7, 2018
Alright, I've got two roost for my chicks in their pen that's on the grass and the only one roosting insists on the waterer and the feeder. I'm also wondering when the other ones are going to start roosting as well.

They usually start when they grow wings.
My chicks begun when the mother started,at about three weeks.

Alright, I've got two roost for my chicks in their pen that's on the grass and the only one roosting insists on the waterer and the feeder. I'm also wondering when the other ones are going to start roosting as well.

Hi @Hteeter2 :frow

How old are your chicks?
Photos of the chicks and your pen would be helpful:)

Sometimes you may need to move food/water stations around so they don't roost on them. Depending on the age of your chicks, they will eventually find roosts more comfortable.

Here's a picture of one of my chicka babies.
PANO_20180314_142005.jpg
PANO_20180314_142001.jpg

Cute babies!

Is the pen for daytime use or are they being kept there all the time?

Chicks that young usually won't roost for the night on a roost, most likely they still pile up. Water and feed containers are wider and probably more comfortable to perch on.

You could try moving the containers further in and lowering the perch a bit to see if they will take interest. I've found they will "play" on roosts during the daytime, but don't do much roosting for the night until they are about 6wks old.

Cute babies!

Is the pen for daytime use or are they being kept there all the time?

Chicks that young usually won't roost for the night on a roost, most likely they still pile up. Water and feed containers are wider and probably more comfortable to perch on.

You could try moving the containers further in and lowering the perch a bit to see if they will take interest. I've found they will "play" on roosts during the daytime, but don't do much roosting for the night until they are about 6wks old.

This pen is just for the daytime. I put them in the pen about 11am or 12pm because the mornings have been a little cold. Around about noon give or take; it warms up enough for them to be out. In the evening about 5pm I put them back in the brooder box. Yes, they still like to pile on top of each other; sometimes in 2's, 3's or all 4 of them. One perch isn't very high at all, and the other one is about the height of the waterer or feeder.

This pen is just for the daytime. I put them in the pen about 11am or 12pm because the mornings have been a little cold. Around about noon give or take; it warms up enough for them to be out. In the evening about 5pm I put them back in the brooder box. Yes, they still like to pile on top of each other; sometimes in 2's, 3's or all 4 of them. One perch isn't very high at all, and the other one is about the height of the waterer or feeder.

Nice! It's wonderful to have an daytime pen for chicks. Is your coop and run ready for them?

Chicks do love to perch on the containers, but will usually out grow that (have to poop in the food/water too!).

Nice! It's wonderful to have an daytime pen for chicks. Is your coop and run ready for them?

Chicks do love to perch on the containers, but will usually out grow that (have to poop in the food/water too!).

No, the coop and run isn't completely done yet. My dad went ahead and got the chicks first. We have a few weeks at least to get it all done. Yes, the chicks seem to love poop in their food. Although so far I haven't had them pooping in their waterer as of yet.

I think the little roost is too thin for them. Chickens aren't really perching birds like wild ones. They like to have their feet flat on a roost - older chickens like to lay their heads on their feet to keep them warm .

Why not try some real branches from a tree, I think that would interest them enough to get them to stop perching and pooing in their food - :sick

Just yesterday a chick starter roosting in the pen on the grass! I'm so excited! This morning I saw the same chick roosting again after I put them out. They're getting so big; it seems crazy how fast they grow.

Back
Top Bottom