Chick rooster

All of the above advice is great. One thing I would add, no matter what container you decide to use for your brooder, get a metal lamp with a clamp that you can keep away from plastic or cardboard. Hot plastic will give off toxic fumes, and of course cardboard is combustible.

I recommend you throw that clamp away. Do not depend on it at all. Hang your lamp with wire or some way that it cannot be knocked down. I secure mine with wire two different ways. It is not going to fall and start a fire.

I recommend you throw that clamp away. Do not depend on it at all. Hang your lamp with wire or some way that it cannot be knocked down. I secure mine with wire two different ways. It is not going to fall and start a fire.

bow.gif
That is a VERY valid point. My brooders are in basement and that's all we do down there so there's not much chance of the lamp getting knocked down, but I'm adding wire asap!

Here are some pictures of mine. I just used a really large storage bin. I put the heat source at one end, and the food and water at the other. That way, if they get cold, they can snuggle under the heat lamp, and if they get hot, the can move out of the way. It's easy to keep clean as well. I just dumped it into the compost pile once a week and put fresh new bedding in.

Enjoy your new babies!! They are a ton of fun.

Sincerely,
Kelly

Our Country Chronicles

Here they are at 6 weeks. They did just fine the whole time. Very cheap and easy to make!!

Last edited:
I have various ages from a few days old to 5 weeks old my 3 day olds to 2 week olds like it between 80-85 and the olders prefer no light but some will curl up next to my 2 weeks old brooder and share their heat i think they just like the light it puts off

Back
Top Bottom