1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Safe Winter Water

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MEMama3, Jan 13, 2014.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    Chicks should be hatching in 16 days. I thought about many different issues of broody hatching in the coop in the dead of winter, but I didn't think of the water. I can keep the big water dishes away from the chicks (one is already mounted at roost height because my buff orp gets bullied and trapped up there sometimes) and I could always set up the second dish off the second roost, but what can I do for the chicks that won't freeze instantly?

My thought (and I don't know if it would work) was to use a shallow dish and heat some rocks to put in the bottom so it would be drown-safe. I would think the rocks would keep it warm for quite a bit.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd just use 2 chick waterers, the hot rocks might help if they are metal waterers, and switch it out every few hours.

That is what I had to do with this last frigid cold snap for a sequestered rooster, only had one water heater...I also left a bowl of snow in there that he would peck at.

I'd avoid a shallow pan that they might walk into.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by