Chick seemed to have died during hatching

I had an incident this year. I got up early in the morning to check the hatching progress, & everything looked fine. Chicks were hatching, & pipping.

One chick in particular I saw it's beak sticking out of it's pip hole like it should, I sat down for a drink of coffee, came back over, to find the chick's beak was missing. I took the egg out, & started removing shell for an assist hatching.(Chick turned to the other side of the shell)I got it out of the shell, & membrane, it was freshly dead. Still warm, but limp. Chick was also ready to come out, yolk was completely absorbed.
I attempted to resuscitate the chickie, but I was unable to bring it back to life.
How do you resuscitate a chick

That can sometimes happen when the humidity is not set right, but even if it was, like Wootiecat says, sometimes it does happen. I've had many that didnt even get a chance to break the shell. When I go to throw out the old eggs in the incubator, I always check to see how far they had developed. Some had developed fully but never made it out of the shell.

So sorry. It happens sometimes.
This, sadly, is true. I've lost two this hatching for completely unknown reasons. Lost one last hatching, fully formed, external pip, then nothing (I strongly suspect mis-positioning in that case). Like it had worked itself to death, me all unawares, and didn't quite have it in it to make that final push.

Thanks so much for your help. I apologize for being so clueless, this is my first hatch :wee

we've all been that "first hatch anxious". Second hatch, honestly, isn't much better. By the sixth or so, a lot of the anxiousness fades, but you will still find yourself checking frequently, just less stressed when its not going as quickly as hoped.

I didn't even wait the 24 hours. When they piped I removed shell until there was only half of a shell. Leaving the membrane. And when they tried to zip I just slowly riped the membrane open. Most of my chicks survived. Although I did have to cut the umbilical cord for some. And squeeze to stop the bleeding. I took some out prematurely and to stuff them back. And wait. Moistening the yolk sack. With some clean water.

Back
Top Bottom