Chick Selection

BokerTov

Chirping
May 28, 2019
Central Colorado
Hello All-The-People-Who-Have-More-Experience-Than-I:

I am starting the chick selection process because I like to plan things REALLY far in advance. So I was hoping I could pick some brains for some help:

I went onto My Pet Chicken.com to use their "breed selection tool" and see what kind of chickens would work out for our home flock. Things that are important to me:

That the chickens bear confinement well, that they are cold-hardy, that they are friendly/gentle with small kids and that they are good layers. I also said I'd prefer to avoid broody chickens because "ain't nobody got time for that". The results they gave me that matched all of those were:

-Easter Eggers
-Golden Buff (red star)
-Rhode Island Red.

I am wanting to have 5 hens and will be building my coop in the next few months, and I do plan to have the coop built completely before even getting the chicks, so don't worry about me getting ahead of myself- I'm just doing my research and was wanting some opinion from real people who have raised these breeds and if you'd agree with the selection tool's results.

Thank you for your time.

Throw that list out and start again.
I too am in Colorado and have had over 25 different breeds from cochin to leghorn. They all do fine. I do try to stay away from the large single combs (leghorn) but i haven't had frostbite issues on the ones i have.
Breeds i have had good success with are Easter Eggers, leghorn, Plymouth rocks(barred are my favorite) welsummers and black australorp for highest production. Next would be brabanters, orpingtons, ameraucana, sussex, chanteclers and wyandotte. Least productive must haves (for me) are cochin(very broody), brahma and russian orloffs.
I stay away from the high production hybreds because i don't want a spent hen at two and the basic red birds because they can be aggressive.
Are you in the front range?

Throw that list out and start again.
I too am in Colorado and have had over 25 different breeds from cochin to leghorn. They all do fine. I do try to stay away from the large single combs (leghorn) but i haven't had frostbite issues on the ones i have.
Breeds i have had good success with are Easter Eggers, leghorn, Plymouth rocks(barred are my favorite) welsummers and black australorp for highest production. Next would be brabanters, orpingtons, ameraucana, sussex, chanteclers and wyandotte. Least productive must haves (for me) are cochin(very broody), brahma and russian orloffs.
I stay away from the high production hybreds because i don't want a spent hen at two and the basic red birds because they can be aggressive.
Are you in the front range?

Hi! I am indeed in the Front Range :)

So, I should note that I know NOTHING about ANYTHING. When I say I am new to all this, I mean, completely, brand-spanking, have no clue. I've read plenty of books but it's a lot of info to keep in my head, so I'm just trying to keep it all straight.

When you say to throw the list out, may I ask why? Or may I ask what your top picks would be for "will be ok being confined/cold/nice to kids all the while laying well"?

I also am not a fan of the 'production reds', which includes any of the red hybrid layers, and those orange RIRs. Feather pecking, bossy hens, in my experience.
My personal favorites have included Speckled Sussex, who have single combs, but very friendly hens, also EEs, Plymouth Rocks (here I like the buffs), Buckeyes, and then Australorps are good layers, French Marans lay those very dark eggs, Welsummers, brown Leghorns, and Chanteclers.
There are so many choices!
Also look at the Hendersons poultry chart, and feathersite, for more ideas and eye candy.
Just try some, and then try some others, and over time you will have favorites, and some that looked great and just didn't appeal to you at home.
Mary

The list of 3 breeds (2 of which i will not own) is too limited and generic. You are missing dozens of well suited productive breeds for Colorado. If i could only go with 5 birds, they would all be different breeds. My 5 would be EE, barred rock, gold laced wyandotte, welsummer and brabanter. One white, one green, one dark brown and 2 brown layers. Feather coloring is different on every hen as well.
Check out the FoCo CL posting for Nothern Colorado feeder supply. She has around 75 breeds/colors of large fowl currently not counting bantams. Definitely worth the drive to have such a great selection plus you avoid the shipping stress/death. She gets her chicks in on Friday so if you go up there T or W they should thrive. She usually has some older birds 2-4 week olds for the same price.

Last edited:
The list of 3 breeds (2 of which i will not own) is too limited and generic. You are missing dozens of well suited productive breeds for Colorado. If i could only go with 5 birds, they would all be different breeds. My 5 would be EE, barred rock, gold laced wyandotte, welsummer and brabanter. One white, one green, one dark brown and 2 brown layers. Feather coloring is different on every hen as well.
Check out the FoCo CL posting for Nothern Colorado feeder supply. She has around 75 breeds/colors of large fowl currently not counting bantams. Definitely worth the drive to have such a great selection plus you avoid the shipping stress/death. She gets her chicks in on Friday so if you go up there T or W they should thrive. She usually has some older birds 2-4 week olds for the same price.
WOW! Just looked up the CL ad for Northern Colorado Feeder Supply. WOW! You are right, I would be happy to drive up there and avoid the shipping issues.

Thanks so much for this very helpful info. I'm going to research the 5 that you mentioned you'd get and I like your suggestion that they all be different breeds. This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get from people who've walked this path before me. I appreciate you!

I also am not a fan of the 'production reds', which includes any of the red hybrid layers, and those orange RIRs. Feather pecking, bossy hens, in my experience.
My personal favorites have included Speckled Sussex, who have single combs, but very friendly hens, also EEs, Plymouth Rocks (here I like the buffs), Buckeyes, and then Australorps are good layers, French Marans lay those very dark eggs, Welsummers, brown Leghorns, and Chanteclers.
There are so many choices!
Also look at the Hendersons poultry chart, and feathersite, for more ideas and eye candy.
Just try some, and then try some others, and over time you will have favorites, and some that looked great and just didn't appeal to you at home.
Mary
Super helpful! Thank you for this excellent advice. I've pulled up the Henderson's Poultry Chart and will be checking Feathersite next. Thank you!

I also vote for making the drive to feeders supply. I have purchased several birds from them and they have done very well.

Personal choices from me for friendly, hearty, good layers....
Black Australorp
Buff orpingtons
Speckled sussex
Delaware
Welsummer or California Whites both very different but both worth having.
Yeah most lay brown eggs. The California Whites lay white eggs and have not been as skittish as Leghorns.
If you want green or blue eggs I highly recommend stopping at Bomgaars on your trip to get Starlight green layers or Prairie Bluebells. I have 2 of each and they are all great!
They are said not to suffer the genetic issues the Easter Eggers do. I have tried repeatedly over the years to get good laying Easter eggers and always ended up with the genetic garbage pit in them.

I'll add that EEs do vary, and mine from Cackle and Townline have been very good. Also, the bantam EEs from Cackle are really nice!
And, all good advice above.
I had some buff Orphingtons years ago, and wasn't impressed. Last year I got one from Townline, and she's a good one. Maybe there's a reason people like them after all...
Mary

Back
Top Bottom