Chick self grooming

Teresa D

Songster
May 18, 2020
Wisconsin
So my chicks are always grooming themselves, I am guessing its just normal. They are constantly grooming. I probably have to do body checks. They look healthy, but they don't like me handling them thats for sure. They come right up to me. I think they are board so I put a bird seed block in there to give them something to do.
Any suggestions?

How old are they?

Likely grooming but check them out for lice/mites.
Young birds (and adults) that are growing in new feathers don't like to be handled. All those pin feathers are sensitive. When you do handle them go slow and check for emerging feathers - chicks will preen a lot when feathering out.
Do they have access to dirt for bathing?

I would be hesitant to leave a bird seed block full time in the coop/run/brooder for birds, especially youngsters. You want them to eat their normal food most of the time. If they have a tasty treat in there all the time, then they will probably ignore their feed.
I like to give mine a little scrambled egg. As they get older I do offer them a little scratch. Make sure chicks have access to grit.

How old are they?

Young birds (and adults) that are growing in new feathers don't like to be handled. All those pin feathers are sensitive. When you do handle them go slow and check for emerging feathers - chicks will preen a lot when feathering out.

I would be hesitant to leave a bird seed block full time in the coop/run/brooder for birds, especially youngsters. You want them to eat their normal food most of the time. If they have a tasty treat in there all the time, then they will probably ignore their feed.
I like to give mine a little scrambled egg. As they get older I do offer them a little scratch. Make sure chicks have access to grit.
Thank you. I do supply dirt to bathe in when they are outside.
They weren't interested in the seed block at all. I bought a new waterer with the nipples. Any thoughts on them?

How old are they?

they were 5 weeks old yesterday.

Thank you. I do supply dirt to bathe in when they are outside.
They weren't interested in the seed block at all. I bought a new waterer with the nipples. Any thoughts on them?

We just got a nipple waterer for our chicks a week ago and we had to stick their beaks in it until they figured it out, they were 7 weeks though, almost completely feathered out.

How old are they?

Thank you. What are your thoughts about how long to give electrolytes? Ive been giving 5 weeks now.

How old are they?

I was told I could use barn lime instead of grit what are your thoughts?

We just got a nipple waterer for our chicks a week ago and we had to stick their beaks in it until they figured it out, they were 7 weeks though, almost completely feathered out.
Have you heard that you can use barn lime instead of grit? They told me I could at the feed store.... true or not?

We love nipple waterers! Our chicks are 5 weeks now and I got 2 of these chick nipple waterers below when they were 3 weeks because I was changing out their water multiple times per day due the bedding being kicked in and them pooping in their water -even with it raised up on a block of wood. These come with a bracket holder to screw into a wall as well as a metal bracket. Mine wouldn’t use the new nipple waterers though until I took away their gravity waterer. After one used the nipple the rest followed with no problem.

Attachments

• 8DCDFA8D-244F-4396-A213-3644850F7533.png
    8DCDFA8D-244F-4396-A213-3644850F7533.png
    432 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom