Chick setup help!

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I’m preparing for chicks early because I’ve always been at least a little unprepared for them… I have a couple months to set all this up so I’m not in a hurry! How should I fix up this brooder? I need to find a flooring to put over the wire flooring because it’s a pain to clean and unsafe for chicks(it nearly scalped my chick last year). I’ll only be bringing in a few chicks so that I don’t end up overwhelmed with chicks 😅. For the walls I want sun and fresh air to get in but I need to be able to close up the walls when it’s windy out… I’m hoping to make it look nice but also be fun for the chicks with plenty of stimulation.

And for the house, what should I do for it? Cover it with white wall paint since they’re just chicks? Or should I get paint stripper and use that then use kids non-toxic paint? TYIA ♥️

Attachments

• IMG_0423.jpeg
    IMG_0423.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0424.jpeg
    IMG_0424.jpeg
    454.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0425.jpeg
    IMG_0425.jpeg
    460.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0438.jpeg
    IMG_0438.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 11
For the walls I want sun and fresh air to get in but I need to be able to close up the walls when it’s windy out…
I lean greenhouse panels over the wire paneled walls when rain or wind is in the forecast. My brooder is also placed behind the actual chicken coop so prevailing wind direction is completely blocked by the structure.

And for the house, what should I do for it?
What's the little house for? Is that a mini coop or something for them to play with?

I lean greenhouse panels over the wire paneled walls when rain or wind is in the forecast. My brooder is also placed behind the actual chicken coop so prevailing wind direction is completely blocked by the structure.
Thank you!
What's the little house for? Is that a mini coop or something for them to play with?
Just something for them to hang out in, I have used it before before thinking about the fact it has paint on it and they LOVED it. They liked roosting one it and sleeping in the little rooms. I plan to add little roosts all along the open gap in the roof too

Back
Top Bottom