Chick sexing project

Pics
The BJG on the left is our very suspicious and probable roo
My BJG was very comby and wattley at a pretty early age.
C5F4DA87-3E6F-4BE0-A31D-8E1D47345BFE.jpeg

I am currently guessing about the sex's of my chicks right now. After I know what they are I will send in some photos.

Thank you so much this will be really helpful.

It seems that the OP isn't running this project anymore. Is it ok if I look into ways for us to manage the picture submissions and what not? I'm thinking there's probably a simpler and easier to use way to do this.
I’m not sure if this thread is really that useful. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great idea. But if you step back and take a look, is it really that helpful?

So not even getting into the necessity of it, this thread is a mess. It’s a complete jumble of posts, and by the time someone has found the post they need they could have probably made a thread and gone out for a cup of tea.

But beyond that, in the beginning, with none sex linked chicks, and non crazy developing cockerels, all chicks of both genders will look the same, I would say 4-6 weeks is the MINIMUM, for beginning to see the difference in birds that aren’t sex linked or autosexing.

So really, any photos until that point are not going to be that helpful. But after that, different birds may mature at different rates, so if someone looks at a photo of an early developing pullet, and they have a late developing cockerel, they may make the wrong assumptions.

Also, everyone’s chicks are different. Instead of looking through this jumble of a thread, someone could have made a thread and gotten opinions pertaining to their particular birds.

Now like I said, it’s a great idea, but if you take a step back, is it really that helpful? Or even worth the time?

Don’t get me wrong, if you wanna do this, go for it, nobody can stop you. Just trying to bring up some points to think about.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if this thread is really that useful. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great idea. But if you step back and take a look, is it really that helpful?

So not even getting into the necissity of it, this thread is a mess. It’s a complete jumble of posts, and by the time someone has found the post they need they could have probably made a thread and gone out for a cup of tea.

But beyond that, in the beginning, with none sex linked chicks, and non crazy developing cockerels, all chicks of both genders will look the same, I would say 4-6 weeks is the MINIMUM, for beginning to see the difference in birds that aren’t sex linked or autosexing.

So really, any photos until that point are not going to be that helpful. But after that, different birds may mature at different rates, so if someone looks at a photo of an early developing pullet, and they have a late developing cockerel, they may make the wrong assumptions.

Also, everyone’s chicks are different. Instead of looking through this jumble of a thread, someone could have made a thread and gotten opinions pertaining to their particular birds.

Now like I said, it’s a great idea, but if you take a step back, is it really that helpful? Or even worth the time?

Don’t get me wrong, if you wanna do this, go for it, nobody can stop you. Just trying to bring up some points to think about.

These are fair points. I've noticed that there are some tendencies that separate breeds (like those that get large combs in both sexes like Leghorns and those that get red early like Wyandottes) where reference pictures could be helpful. There also seem to be times that people don't get a response on a thread they authored and it gets buried. If nothing else, a reference would give them something to peruse so they can guess-timate if they just can't wait for the experts to weigh in.

I noticed that this thread was a mess, which is one of the reasons I was looking into 'how can this be made better/useful'.

What I arrived at is setting it up as a wiki (ala wikipedia), with reference pictures of both sexes at the age where they roughly start to show their secondary sex characteristics, with an explanation of what to look for. Obviously this would require a lot of collaborative effort, but that's what makes a wiki a good solution, as we could set it up so that anyone could edit it, or just specific users...however we wanted to do it.

These are fair points. I've noticed that there are some tendencies that separate breeds (like those that get large combs in both sexes like Leghorns and those that get red early like Wyandottes) where reference pictures could be helpful. There also seem to be times that people don't get a response on a thread they authored and it gets buried. If nothing else, a reference would give them something to peruse so they can guess-timate if they just can't wait for the experts to weigh in.

I noticed that this thread was a mess, which is one of the reasons I was looking into 'how can this be made better/useful'.

What I arrived at is setting it up as a wiki (ala wikipedia), with reference pictures of both sexes at the age where they roughly start to show their secondary sex characteristics, with an explanation of what to look for. Obviously this would require a lot of collaborative effort, but that's what makes a wiki a good solution, as we could set it up so that anyone could edit it, or just specific users...however we wanted to do it.
Hmmm, interesting idea.

Hmmm, interesting idea.

This is my game plan, if I do this thing.

- Post in a separate thread about it, to gauge interest in contributing/helping out
- Set up a wiki (easy to do and free depending on the host)
- Structure the wiki pages so that contributors know where to put what (include basic guidance)
- Post in the breed discussion threads to see if I can get expert advice on sexing the breed, and/or example pictures
- Research outside BYC for those breeds I can't get help on.

The more interest it garners the faster the information will expand. And such a wiki could be used for more than just sexing, it could also be used for helping people identify what breed their chicken is, and what to expect as they grow.

This is my game plan, if I do this thing.

- Post in a separate thread about it, to gauge interest in contributing/helping out
- Set up a wiki (easy to do and free depending on the host)
- Structure the wiki pages so that contributors know where to put what (include basic guidance)
- Post in the breed discussion threads to see if I can get expert advice on sexing the breed, and/or example pictures
- Research outside BYC for those breeds I can't get help on.

The more interest it garners the faster the information will expand. And such a wiki could be used for more than just sexing, it could also be used for helping people identify what breed their chicken is, and what to expect as they grow.
I think a wiki is a fantastic idea. Much easier to navigate and find useful information that way, and I'd love to contribute!
Wikia (wiki fandom) could be a good host to use. It's more geared towards fandoms/media...although we could call it the BYC wiki! There's definitely some sort of 'fandom' going on here! :lol:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom