Chick Shakes Tail From Side to Side - Behavior or Gender?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by birdsrfun, Sep 22, 2013.

1. birdsrfun

birdsrfun Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    S.F Bay Area
    Hello All,

I have only found one thread that asks about chicks or chickens shaking their tail feathers. I have two chicks, now almost 6 weeks old, and for a time I was worried that one might be a cockerel. Henrietta, the chick in question, seems to be showing signs of being a pullet, but she also does a tail shake, where she shakes her tail from side to side rapidly.

Does anyone have pullets or cockerels that do this? Is this a characteristic of gender, or just a funny behavior?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I haven't found it to be anything else than cute, funny behavior. [​IMG] Both my roosters and hens occasionally do it.

3. Muffinburgler

Muffinburgler Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Watsonville, CA
    They're just wiggling their tails like other birds do, to fix a feather out of place or to show they're content. Definitely not a gender thing, they all do it.

4. birdsrfun

Aug 22, 2013
    S.F Bay Area
    It's funny only one chick does it. She's the same chick that sticks her tail straight up frequently. I'm surprised that I was only able to find one thread about it.

5. birdsrfun

Aug 22, 2013
    S.F Bay Area
    It is definitely a cute a funny behavior. Chicken TV.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by