Chick shrink wrapped chick from the waist down

RoosterHuggerLiz

Songster
Dec 27, 2020
My hen was hatching chicks and I had her sitting on a couple of Bantam eggs because the Bantam mother is a horrible mom, every single one of these chicks have had some kind of problem hatching, be at ants, or violent curious hens, the first two chicks hatched with a little bit of help, I had to remove the first one from the nesting box and brush the ants away, leaving it in my incubator, the second one had been attacked by the other hens and I actually thought this one was going to die but he pulled through, but this last one, it looks as if the hen had accidentally stepped on it while he was hatching, don't get me wrong she's a wonderful mother but she's also a first-time mother and her breed isn't even supposed to go broody, she's a Rhode Island red. So this last little chicks shell got crushed while hatching, I removed him from under the hen and placed him in my incubator, all in all he was breathing and alive but it seems as if he hadn't fully absorbed his yoke sack, I didn't want to do anything rash until he had absorbed everything so all I did was I used tweezer to remove all the small shards of eggshell that were poking into the egg that might cut him while he was turning around and left him be in the incubator, I woke up this morning to loud peeping so I went to go check on him, his upper half had completely dried while the bottom half was still stuck in the egg, it looks as if he he was able to escape the upper half of the egg but his lower half was too wide to pull his way out, I felt the egg and it was completely shrunk wrapped and tight around his waist so I took a wet paint brush and a pair of tweezers to try and loosen him up, he was still to exosted to pull his way out, I decided that the only way this little chick was going to make it is if I clipped off as much of the shell as possible, and of course made sure he absorbed all the blood prior to me doing this. I began clipping, there was no blood, what I'm worried about is his feet are really weirdly figure disfigured, will that straighten out or is that a lifelong thing? Its been 2, maybe 3 hours and he still hasn't found his balance, is that normal????

My hen was hatching chicks and I had her sitting on a couple of Bantam eggs because the Bantam mother is a horrible mom, every single one of these chicks have had some kind of problem hatching, be at ants, or violent curious hens, the first two chicks hatched with a little bit of help, I had to remove the first one from the nesting box and brush the ants away, leaving it in my incubator, the second one had been attacked by the other hens and I actually thought this one was going to die but he pulled through, but this last one, it looks as if the hen had accidentally stepped on it while he was hatching, don't get me wrong she's a wonderful mother but she's also a first-time mother and her breed isn't even supposed to go broody, she's a Rhode Island red. So this last little chicks shell got crushed while hatching, I removed him from under the hen and placed him in my incubator, all in all he was breathing and alive but it seems as if he hadn't fully absorbed his yoke sack, I didn't want to do anything rash until he had absorbed everything so all I did was I used tweezer to remove all the small shards of eggshell that were poking into the egg that might cut him while he was turning around and left him be in the incubator, I woke up this morning to loud peeping so I went to go check on him, his upper half had completely dried while the bottom half was still stuck in the egg, it looks as if he he was able to escape the upper half of the egg but his lower half was too wide to pull his way out, I felt the egg and it was completely shrunk wrapped and tight around his waist so I took a wet paint brush and a pair of tweezers to try and loosen him up, he was still to exosted to pull his way out, I decided that the only way this little chick was going to make it is if I clipped off as much of the shell as possible, and of course made sure he absorbed all the blood prior to me doing this. I began clipping, there was no blood, what I'm worried about is his feet are really weirdly figure disfigured, will that straighten out or is that a lifelong thing? Its been 2, maybe 3 hours and he still hasn't found his balance, is that normal????
Yes that's normal. It takes chicks a full day usually to be running around. Most just lay around and sleep or waddle around for the first 24 hours.

He stretched out fine and is now with the rest of his siblings and mum!

Attachments

• IMG_20210823_154749281.jpg
    IMG_20210823_154749281.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom