Chick Size - Question

cfbandme

Chirping
Apr 24, 2018
N. Central Iowa
We have 2 week old chickies and I’ve noticed that all of our RIR’s have started getting their wing and tail feather. On the other hand our daughters Dark Brahma seems much smaller and still has most of her “baby fluff” ... is this normal? I’m sure all breeds develop at their own pace - but there is just such a difference in their size!! Thanks!

Attachments

• 648F7B8D-4367-450B-B8F7-79B0E1597249.jpeg
    648F7B8D-4367-450B-B8F7-79B0E1597249.jpeg
    501.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 8F0464D5-F8E7-4836-BAA1-1A16B4E50BF1.jpeg
    8F0464D5-F8E7-4836-BAA1-1A16B4E50BF1.jpeg
    677.5 KB · Views: 8
We have 2 week old chickies and I’ve noticed that all of our RIR’s have started getting their wing and tail feather. On the other hand our daughters Dark Brahma seems much smaller and still has most of her “baby fluff” ... is this normal? I’m sure all breeds develop at their own pace - but there is just such a difference in their size!! Thanks!
Normal for the Rhodes not sure on the other one

I knew our RIR girls would feather out rapidly and will be large when they are fully grown - but I don’t know anything about Brahma’s - at first I worried the others weren’t letting her eat but I watched them all day and she holds her own with the others - I just worried about how small she seems compared to all the others - almost like she isn’t growing - I’m sure I’m just overly paranoid :confused:

I knew our RIR girls would feather out rapidly and will be large when they are fully grown - but I don’t know anything about Brahma’s - at first I worried the others weren’t letting her eat but I watched them all day and she holds her own with the others - I just worried about how small she seems compared to all the others - almost like she isn’t growing - I’m sure I’m just overly paranoid :confused:
Brahmas grow and mature slowly.
They’re a large breed.
Think of it as a St. Bernard lol.

Brahmachicken5000 is the Brahma expert. Might try starting a conversation with him.

have had brahmas in the past, they were larger then my RIRs. at 2 weeks i wouldnt worry to much unless shes being picked on. you can add an extra feeder if you want to make sure shes not being kept from eating enough. nice pics

Back
Top Bottom