Chick sneezing/coughing and gasping....Help!

maddogdodge

Songster
6 Years
Apr 27, 2014
Australia
Noticed one of my 15 week old chicks do a weird sneeze/hiccup type thing yesterday, she was totally fine otherwise, eating, drinking, active and happy. But I just got home from work and checked on her, she seems lethargic, and is breathing through her beak probably half of the time... her sneeze things have also become much more intense... they're so forceful that they make her fall over every time.

I haven't noticed any discharge from her nose or mouth... its come on very suddenly.... I have no idea what to do... I'll go and separate her from my 3 other chicks now... but has anyone seen these symptoms before or know what I could to to help her? I'm quite fond of her, and don't want to lose her.

Last edited:
I'm thinking maybe Gapeworm? I really don't know.... if anyone has any ideas I'd be very greatful!!

I'm going to pick up some chook wormer tomorrow morning (all the shops are closed now)... So i'm hoping it is Gapeworm and I'm not too late to treat her...

If it IS gapeworm, it would be best to cull her. Gapeworm eggs will contaminate the soil and your other birds would pick them up...infecting them. Even if it's not gapeworm, it could possibly be the onset of a respiratory disease in which I'd recommend that she be culled, as it would spread to your other birds.
However since it came on suddenly, she may have something stuck in her esophagus, crop or gizzard. Gapeworms are rare in chickens and there would be additional symptoms if it were a respiratory disease. Try giving her tomato juice via eyedropper and massage her throat in a downward motion just past her crop. The tomato juice should get things moving.

Thanks for your thoughts, I really appreciate it!!

Yes, upon reading more about Gapeworm, It doesn't sound too common... and as you said, most of the respiratory diseases i'm reading about have other symptoms that she is not displaying at all.

I had not thought that it might be a blockage... I'll try the tomato juice thing tomorrow.

She still seems healthy otherwise, she's happily sleeping up on a very high perch right now, got up there by herself, and she's definitely eating and drinking. Its just this crazy sneezing/coughing and the gasping...
hmm.png

I took her to the vet... (something I wouldn't always do for a chook) but I wanted to know what is going on, and i'm quite fond of this particular pullet.

Vet doesn't know whats wrong... Its not a respiratory disease, or worms or any kind of blockage. She's on a course of antibiotics, not sure if it will help or not. Only time will tell.

Help, I am trying to attach a video of my sick chicken and it wont allow???

She is a 8 month old Americana she has stopped eating she is doing this gasping thing like she can't get her breath then she does this coughing/sneezing that I have in the video. This has been going on for a week now, she is pooping green and I have her on Duramycine and I am giving it to her in her water 3 times a day. Ideas/suggestions???

Back
Top Bottom