CHICK STARTER FEED IS NOT FOR DUCK, ITS CALLED CHICK FOR A REASON.

Status
Not open for further replies.

first egg

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 1, 2012
I had to start this thread because many people are under the extremely sad notion that chick starter is ok for duck. well the most obvious reason this is false is its called CHICK starter feed, and they make DUCK starter feed.. its like feeding your cat dogfood.. there's a reason its made this way people!! now if you have no knowledge, well REAL PROOF KNOWLEDGE that lazy ignorance should stand in place of facts, then don't raise anything and work on yourself. now, chick starter feed has less then 16% protein. this is good for chicks but not duck. duck needs at least 21% protein for the first two weeks. make your own starter and use it like any other. earthworms, small sea shell, snails, waterbugs, hard boiled organic eggs. you can CRUSH THESE UP and have it available for them only for the first 2 weeks. this is the best. its hardwork but trust me, your duck immune system will thank you. I mean you're raising duck and or living on a farm, there is no easy way unless u want slack results and diseases on your plate.. if u don't want to do this, BUY DUCK STARTER FEED. they have organic available, organic just means Monsanto and Dupont didn't get their genetically modified grimy hands on it and its REAL! GMOS CAUSE CANCER. but this is another topic. after u r done 2 weeks maybe sooner the ducklings may start eating other things automatically. I like using organic fresh greens and tomatos. chopped up. I don't like feeding them fake food cause I wouldn't like to eat fale cardboard food. once they're teens I like using the organic feed mixed with greens. they'll basically feed themselves afterwards. I'm working on my very first egg. since I'm off the grid, I'm using a regular lamp, box and florida humidoty n sun! at night I bring it in. I found this guy under a tree in a busy parking lot. I'm experimenting the most natural way since obviously the nest is out of the question. I live by a lake with many duck n birds. o yea, I don't agree with NOTHING MEDICATED. follow the money on these so called safe reviews. I have, usually its rumors like he says this or she says that and then its not credible. many of these claims come from the manufacturer themselves. ok Mr. DuPont, no more teflon in our pans and pots ok. yeah it got recalled so lets use the safe cancer less teflon! ***?? pyrex all the way... medicated starter is so your yield of duck grow up semi sick n in turn this gets us sick. YOU ARE WHAT U EAT. newly hatched chicks duck n birds or any mammal really, loves to over eat, please if u are going to use feed no medicated crap. give your animals a fair chance to be domesticated so u see how smart thwy really are... same goes for your kids.. happy hunting!!

Easy there! I agree with you about the use of GMO products but many people simply don't have the time to find earthworms and other stuff and crush them up to feed their ducklings. Also, chick starter, while not ideal, can be used with niacin supplements provided it is an acceptable brand. Duck starter can be very hard to find, and people who have breeding and meat organizations with hundreds of ducks certainly aren't going to crush up sea shells and organic produce for their poultry. Chickens and ducks are not always comparable to cats and dogs either. While I agree with the general gist of your post, remember it isn't always ideal for others.

Medicated feed is the same as a vaccine for humans. It gives the birds an immunity to the disease. However, ducks shouldn't be fed medicated feed, or if they are it should be mixed with something non-medicated. Otherwise, they'll overdose on the medication...

Medicated feed is the same as a vaccine for humans. It gives the birds an immunity to the disease. However, ducks shouldn't be fed medicated feed, or if they are it should be mixed with something non-medicated. Otherwise, they'll overdose on the medication...
Actually, medicated feed contains antibiotics. It is intended to prevent disease, but it is not the same as a vaccine. A vaccine helps an animal create an immunity to a specific virus, like the flu or chicken pox in humans. Antibiotics kill bacteria and are used to treat (or prevent) bacterial infections. One does not replace the other. That being said, I would not feed my ducks medicated feed as part of their regular diet.

In my area duck starter is not available. But 22% "gamebird" is. I add brewers yeast for added vit B, and vionate for everything else.

Chick Starter that I use for my chicks contains 18% protein. I can buy it with or without medicated. I hope the OP knows there are different brands out there. I also hope the OP realizes most places do not carry duck starter (actually it is extremely difficult to find duck starter in most places). I also hope the OP has done their homework a bit and realizes that some of the top names in breeding and rearing of duck- give the green light on using Chick Starter even medicated if that's all you can find. There are a lot of blanket statements in this post and they are just not the entire 'truth'. Bits and pieces are left out. The best thing a new duck owner can do is do their homework. I did. And chick starter is fine for ducks. Many of them are more than 16% protein, can be purchased without medicated and one must supplement the ducks with niacin because chick starter is deficient in that. If protein is a concern- then the owner can supplement with free ranging to add some bugs and other yummy duck goodies into their diet.

You will find a lot of gorgeous and very healthy ducks on BYC that have been fed a chick starter diet. I am glad you are having such a wonderful time feeding your ducks all those yummies. I am sure they love them all!

I had to start this thread because many people are under the extremely sad notion that chick starter is ok for duck. well the most obvious reason this is false is its called CHICK starter feed, and they make DUCK starter feed.. its like feeding your cat dogfood.. there's a reason its made this way people!! now if you have no knowledge, well REAL PROOF KNOWLEDGE that lazy ignorance should stand in place of facts, then don't raise anything and work on yourself. now, chick starter feed has less then 16% protein. this is good for chicks but not duck. duck needs at least 21% protein for the first two weeks. make your own starter and use it like any other. earthworms, small sea shell, snails, waterbugs, hard boiled organic eggs. you can CRUSH THESE UP and have it available for them only for the first 2 weeks. this is the best. its hardwork but trust me, your duck immune system will thank you. I mean you're raising duck and or living on a farm, there is no easy way unless u want slack results and diseases on your plate.. if u don't want to do this, BUY DUCK STARTER FEED. they have organic available, organic just means Monsanto and Dupont didn't get their genetically modified grimy hands on it and its REAL! GMOS CAUSE CANCER. but this is another topic. after u r done 2 weeks maybe sooner the ducklings may start eating other things automatically. I like using organic fresh greens and tomatos. chopped up. I don't like feeding them fake food cause I wouldn't like to eat fale cardboard food. once they're teens I like using the organic feed mixed with greens. they'll basically feed themselves afterwards. I'm working on my very first egg. since I'm off the grid, I'm using a regular lamp, box and florida humidoty n sun! at night I bring it in. I found this guy under a tree in a busy parking lot. I'm experimenting the most natural way since obviously the nest is out of the question. I live by a lake with many duck n birds. o yea, I don't agree with NOTHING MEDICATED. follow the money on these so called safe reviews. I have, usually its rumors like he says this or she says that and then its not credible. many of these claims come from the manufacturer themselves. ok Mr. DuPont, no more teflon in our pans and pots ok. yeah it got recalled so lets use the safe cancer less teflon! ***?? pyrex all the way... medicated starter is so your yield of duck grow up semi sick n in turn this gets us sick. YOU ARE WHAT U EAT. newly hatched chicks duck n birds or any mammal really, loves to over eat, please if u are going to use feed no medicated crap. give your animals a fair chance to be domesticated so u see how smart thwy really are... same goes for your kids.. happy hunting!!

Someone seems a bit paranoid.
Also uninformed. Where are you finding chick starter with 16% or less protein? Grower maybe but not starter. Starter is 18-20% depending on brand.
I looked at your other posts and all 4 are about starter. Branch out and maybe post if you have something to add.

I am curious. If you are living off the grid, where are you getting your internet connection?

Someone seems a bit paranoid.
Also uninformed. Where are you finding chick starter with 16% or less protein? Grower maybe but not starter. Starter is 18-20% depending on brand.
I looked at your other posts and all 4 are about starter. Branch out and maybe post if you have something to add.

I am curious. If you are living off the grid, where are you getting your internet connection?

Magic...
wink.png

I have started several ducks and geese on chick feed and they have all grown up to be perfectly happy and healthy birds.Duck feed is very expensive in my area and in my experience you can use either.

I am new to ducks (just rescued my first duck and got her a friend) and was told at the local farm store to avoid medicated chick feed as well. I find this to be interesting as a poster above said it USED to be dangerous. I would think if you supplemented it would be ok. But to the OP geez, calm down and play nice. If you feel THAT passionate about something, that is fine, but remember others have different viewpoints and that is what makes this place great. Accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom