Chick starter vs. Layer

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cnj-tx50, Mar 2, 2013.

1. cnj-tx50

cnj-tx50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    North of Dallas, TX
    I have 5 12 to 13 week old chicks. I am out of the chick starter and not sure if I can go ahead and switch over to the layer now or to buy another bag. I usually switch them over at 14-16 weeks but these little girls have consumed a lot more than what my babies have in the past. The bag did not last the whole time.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Do them a real long term health favor and buy a bag of anything but Layer.

Grower is fine. All Flock, Flock Raiser, GameBird, Chick starter anything. It's too early for the Layer. Most birds don't think about laying until after 20 weeks. Layer feed has no magic, as it is essentially a Grower type feed with a big ol' load of calcium ground in. That's it. That's basically all it is.

Pre laying birds do not benefit from a long term load of calcium buildup.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Go ahead and get more chick starter to be safe. The extra protein is good for their growth, and the extra calcium is not supposed to be good for their development, I have read. They don't really need the layer until 20 weeks old anyhow.

4. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I wouldn't switch to layer yet. You could switch to grower and continue till it's gone or continue with the starter. Some people with mixed age flocks just use the grower and offer calcium free choice. They won't eat it till they start needing it for egg production.

5. cnj-tx50

Jun 19, 2009
    North of Dallas, TX
    Ok then it is off to TSC! Thank you so much! I have never used Grower but it sure seems that they need something else to get them full. This is my 4th time with babies and have been so surprised at the amounts these girls have eaten. They run me over when each time I go out to the baby coop. They act like I am starving them to death!

6. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I keep food available for them all the time even affter they are grown. If they run out for even a few hours they act like they will never have a chance to eat again.

7. cnj-tx50

Jun 19, 2009
    North of Dallas, TX
    ok thanks for all the info - I do keep food out for them and have even placed a second feeder - It just seems that they need something more. Maybe I will get a bag of Grower and see how they do with that.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You're the Feed Being. Chickens rushing out to greet the Feed Being is pretty common, even when not hungry. Endearing some would say. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by