Chick starter with MOS

clarkechick

Songster
8 Years
May 24, 2011
I am picking up new chicks today (3) dual purpose birds.
The chick crumbles I have are Poulin featuring MOS. I understand this not to be medicated, just promote health? Another post said its designed to bulk up meat birds though... any feedback? Should I not feed it to my layers? I only have 3 and they will start out inside my home so I am ok with not medicating them.
Thanks

If your keep the dual purpose breeds for laying, I wouldn't feed it. If you plan on processing them, then do. Im not familiar with MOS so that's just my opinion. Someone who knows more may chime in. I was told by McMurray that they DO NOT recommend vaccinations for small flocks (mericks and new castle), but they certainly recommended the medicated feed for cocci (contains ampruillium-sp?). I've always used medicated feed for the cocci, but never had chicks vax'd for the others. If you do decide to do the cocci preventative, just bring a small pan of dirt from your coop site to your brooder for a couple of weeks while you give the med. feed. Good luck- everyone has differing opinions on this subject, I think
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom