Chick straining to poo

pepperluvsmee

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2008
Glen Rock, PA
My crested polish (See avatar) makes noise when she poos and looks like she really strains to go.
She is eating and drinking well and her poo looks normal.
Not too dry or hard, just right with a little liquid in it. She drank ALOT last night. Her crop was full of water like she knew she needed it.
Any ideas what caused this and what I should do?
She is only 2 1/2 weeks old. I have her on a crumbled feed, pine shavings, she acts normal other then when she poos. She runs, plays, starts fights, her normal antics. Good weight. Just straining.
Thanks in advance.
-Theresa

Maybe try mixing some cooking oil in some of the feed and offer this to her. It could be her inerds need some lubricating. Other than that I'm not sure.

I don't know if your chick feed has chick grit in it, but other posts have said to sprinkle that over the starter at around 3-5 days.

Yes, my babies are on grit.
Now she is sneezing, but no discharge and no change in demeaner. I wonder if she has something lodged in her crop? I manipulated it and felt nothing out of the ordinary....
I have her on the pine shavings, but she has never sneezed from it b4.
No one else is sneezing or acting weird.
It's so frustrating...do I medicate, do I not...GRR!!!!!
You have to catch these things ASAP or they go down hill. But she has been sneezing most of the day with no discharge and no change in activity. I put vitamins in the water so now I have a buncha peeps on crack.
*sigh* I don't know what to do. So stressed....
-Theresa

Back
Top Bottom