Chick suddenly died

Cbear25

Hatching
Mar 20, 2018
Indiana
Hello I’m new to this site (kinda, I reference this site for research and emergencies) and it with something rather sad. I just bought a pretty little Rhode Island Red from the feed store today and just an hour ago she died. She was around an adult hen earlier who didn’t take to her. I set her up in an old guinea pig cage so that tomorrow I could buy a new brooder bin (mine cracked) she had a red heat light on her. She acted pretty lethargic since I took her from the hen but I didn’t notice anything before that since she had been in the box. I provided her water with ACV and medicated chick feed but she didn’t eat or drink. She just laid where I set her. She was smaller than the other chicks I saw at the store. She didn’t look sick though. She pooped once and it was normal. I was on my computer and she squawked loudly and when I looked she was on her back with her wings outstretched and about half an hour later she died. She stood up once and looked normal for a second but then she stretched her legs and threw back her head. My other chickens are fine I just checked on them.

:hugs Sorry for your loss. I'm surprised you were allowed to purchase a single chick. How long was it with the hen? It could have gotten chilled or the hen hurt it. What was the temp in the cage? You may want to call whomever you got the chick from, see what they say. If you decide to get another chick get at least 3 - 4, they flourish as a flock. Again sorry for your loss :hugs

:hugs Sorry for your loss. I'm surprised you were allowed to purchase a single chick. How long was it with the hen? It could have gotten chilled or the hen hurt it. What was the temp in the cage? You may want to call whomever you got the chick from, see what they say. If you decide to get another chick get at least 3 - 4, they flourish as a flock. Again sorry for your loss :hugs
Th problem is that I don’t own my house. I’m only allowed one more chicken. I don’t think the hen hurt her. A few of the other chicks I saw at the store were sickly looking. I had the heat lamp directly on her but I didn’t have a thermometer (my brooder box had one but I couldn’t get it off.) I pulled her away from the hen as soon as she was distressed (she pecked at the chick once but actually missed). I’m going to take her back tomorrow. It was just really weird and sudden the way she died and I didn’t know if she’d been like that for a while. She did have dried poop on her back which to me suggests that she was like that at the store and the other chicks had been stepping on her.

Hopefully the store will refund you but if they look sickly, I'd pass. If you're going to raise a single chick, you may want to set up a brooder with a heating pad that does not have an automatic shut off. That way the chick will feel like it's under a hen. If you want to continue with the heat lamp, make sure it's set so the chick can move away from the heat when it gets too warm. Hang a feather duster to mimic a hen & a mirror so it will think it's got company, even a small cuddly stuffed animal will help. Keep a radio on for "company" & spend as much time you can with it.

The hen that you have now has been living alone all this time, or did you loose the second?

Hopefully the store will refund you but if they look sickly, I'd pass. If you're going to raise a single chick, you may want to set up a brooder with a heating pad that does not have an automatic shut off. That way the chick will feel like it's under a hen. If you want to continue with the heat lamp, make sure it's set so the chick can move away from the heat when it gets too warm. Hang a feather duster to mimic a hen & a mirror so it will think it's got company, even a small cuddly stuffed animal will help. Keep a radio on for "company" & spend as much time you can with it.

The hen that you have now has been living alone all this time, or did you loose the second?
The hen is just one from my flock I have 5 birds and I’m allowed to have 6. The hen went broody (which she’s done before) but she seems to be a good mother in theory but not in practice. They did refund me and I gave me a free chick so I chose a very strong looking golden Hamburg.

:thumbsup I've read that when you have a broody & want to stick chicks under her, it's been said (hormonal) it's timing. Best done closer to 18days sitting, stick the chick under from the back at night. Haven't done it so wouldn't know, there must be threads on it in the forum. Best of wishes with your new baby & :welcome

Back
Top Bottom