Chick survival rate?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kait27, May 12, 2009.

1. Kait27

Kait27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central Massachusetts
    I have a question- I'm going to be getting four buff orp chicks soon, from a local farmer's co-op. I've done all my research, and understand heat lamps, chick starter, water, grit, etc.
    What can I expect the survival rate to be? I'm not sure if they hatch at the co-op or if they are ordered and shipped in, but there shouldn't be much additional travel stress once I get them. Having such a small group, is it safe to expect that if I receive four healthy chicks, all four will grow to adulthood, barring any unforeseen illness or incident? Or should I anticipate I might lose one? I considered ordering extra, but my "underground" space is limited and I don't have the room if they had all survived. Thanks!

2. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    I ordered extra in case of loss but they are all still going stong after 2 weeks:fl

3. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    the first couple of batches of chicks i bought, i had at least 1 or 2 die..but i bought 9 chicks a couple of months ago and they are all still doing great!

4. Isaacman

Isaacman Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Austin
    i brought 6 about 2 weeks ago and they are still kicking, depends if you treat them good or not, i clean their booder 2 times a day and clean their water cuase they poo in it every chance i get

5. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I ordered 26 from Ideal, 1 died the 1st day, and the rest are still doing great now at 3weeks old. The one that died on me, didn't move around as well as the others, just stood off by itself and so you can tell it wasn't going to make it. Soo if you have a choice in picking them look for chicks that are moving good, and eating/drinking well!

6. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Murphy's law applies here. If you order extras they will all survive. If you don't you may loose one. If you can't expand your space i wouldn't recommend getting extra. If you do i would have a backup plan to rehome extras that you can't keep. Good Luck and welcome to chickens and BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by