Chick Taming and What Can They Eat

JuliaOlivia

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2017
We have 16 special black chicks that will be 4 weeks old in two days. They are extremely shy. I don't want them pet friendly but how can I tame them down a little so that they don't run away from every one. And one more thing; are they old enough to eat table scraps?

We have 16 special black chicks that will be 4 weeks old in two days. They are extremely shy. I don't want them pet friendly but how can I tame them down a little so that they don't run away from every one. And one more thing; are they old enough to eat table scraps?
If they are on the ground they can eat table scraps-----some say not----but mine(and parents as a child) have done good eating them for over my 60 years. Chicks that have not been handled alot----when first put on the dirt are spooky----usually takes a couple weeks with you walking into their pen(I do not allow mine to free range that young---hawk bait) gently, no loud noises before they will come towards you some when you walk in with food. Even at 2 weeks a couple might try to bond with you---allow you to pet them while eating, then in a couple more weeks you might have a time pouring their feed in the pan because they are all around your feet. Give them time and no automatic feeders at this time so they see where the feed comes from-----YOU.

Fill your hands with crumb and keep your hand still, letting the chicks peck the food from your hands. This will make them realise you give food and you aren't really that 'scary'!
Many chicks at this age tend to be relatively shy so don't worry too much. As they get older, they will realise who supplies their food and will definitely increase their trust in you. Some breeds are never as friendly but they all develop as they get older and more intelligent.

Back
Top Bottom