Chick too soon?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sgsf, May 17, 2011.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    This is my first time ever I've seen a chick actually in it's egg. Their was a big hole in the side of the egg, and the chicken was squeaking like any other chick, and it was breathing fine. It looked stuck to me, but I wasn't really sure. There was no hen sitting on top of the egg. But I'm not sure it could've been there long. Anyways, I helped chip off pieces of the egg, then turned it upright and the chick dropped out (not far, I was holding it to the hay so it didn't actually fall). Anyways, it's now up under a hen. It's eyes looked very huge compared to other chicks. I don't know if it's because the fur was wet and not puffy...but it looked as if it's eyes were huge.

I know I probably did something wrong. But will it be ok?

2. Alexis

Alexis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    It's always scary the first time!

I'd say that if your chick is up, moving around normally, and huddled up under a hen to dry off then it should be just fine.

3. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    i had to hatch a duck it was stuck just made a hole and 24 hours and 48 hours pasted still werent unzipping and i helped it and now it out a moving [​IMG] - so it must of been stuck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by