Chick transition to coop! 5 weeks old.

ANiceKaren

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Frazier Park California
Hi friends!
I’m ready to transition my 5 week old chicks to their outdoor coop ASAP. I have a 3 day vacation coming up July 5 and I think it would be easier to have them comfy in their coop/run area for my chicken sitter and for them! I have 5 pullets that spend the entire day in their run area that is right next to big girl run but safely separated by chicken wire. They seem all to be doing fine! I have been collecting the 5 babies around 6pm nightly to return to brooder (large dog crate) at night to sleep. They are weaned from heat as our temps are above 80 during day and 65ish at night. Seems like the last step for them to be out of brooder is just put them in the coop, which is contained in their run at night and close the door? I am assuming they won’t like it? They don’t like the coop during the day.. I’ve offered some treats and put them in it a few minutes at a time during day but they eat treats as quickly as possible and jump down! 😂 Do I just bite the bullet and lock them in at night and let them cry it out or continue to work with them next few days in coop…? I’m a big softy so take it easy on me 😂🐥 Here is their current run/coop area.. yellow coop is theirs alone.. completely separate from big girls… they hate it lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    774 KB · Views: 66
Hi friends!
I’m ready to transition my 5 week old chicks to their outdoor coop ASAP. I have a 3 day vacation coming up July 5 and I think it would be easier to have them comfy in their coop/run area for my chicken sitter and for them! I have 5 pullets that spend the entire day in their run area that is right next to big girl run but safely separated by chicken wire. They seem all to be doing fine! I have been collecting the 5 babies around 6pm nightly to return to brooder (large dog crate) at night to sleep. They are weaned from heat as our temps are above 80 during day and 65ish at night. Seems like the last step for them to be out of brooder is just put them in the coop, which is contained in their run at night and close the door? I am assuming they won’t like it? They don’t like the coop during the day.. I’ve offered some treats and put them in it a few minutes at a time during day but they eat treats as quickly as possible and jump down! 😂 Do I just bite the bullet and lock them in at night and let them cry it out or continue to work with them next few days in coop…? I’m a big softy so take it easy on me 😂🐥 Here is their current run/coop area.. yellow coop is theirs alone.. completely separate from big girls… they hate it lol
I would lock them up in the coop where they will be sleeping in the morning and open the door at noon and give them the option to adventure out by them selves. Then lock them back in the coop in the evening if they haven't gone in by them selves.

looks pretty closed off .. i wouldnt want to be in there either during the day lol ... when its almost dark i think theyll be ok, just enough light so they can find a roosting spot ..
Do you think it’s too dark for them during day? I certainly don’t want them to be scared! In front of the wire is an open run they can see out of… I’ll try for a better pic :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    839.1 KB · Views: 34
Coop may be too dark or hot or stuffy inside. Is there additional ventilation/windows we can't see?

For the time being I would manually put them in at night (assuming there is sufficient ventilation inside) and hope that they get the clue, however I really don't know if they'll move in there in time for your trip.

Is the entire thing in a predator safe run (hard to tell where it's placed in relationship to your adult set up)? If so you might just need to tolerate the fact that they won't be going in to sleep while you're gone, and address it once you return.

Coop may be too dark or hot or stuffy inside. Is there additional ventilation/windows we can't see?

For the time being I would manually put them in at night (assuming there is sufficient ventilation inside) and hope that they get the clue, however I really don't know if they'll move in there in time for your trip.

Is the entire thing in a predator safe run (hard to tell where it's placed in relationship to your adult set up)? If so you might just need to tolerate the fact that they won't be going in to sleep while you're gone, and address it once you return.
They slept in coop for first time last night and seemed to do well! Ventilation windows in front but that’s it. I was thinking of leaving coop door open into their small run for even more ventilation. Just want them to get used to staying in coop at night first. They are very protected from big chickens and predators alike. I know my chicken sitter may need to bring them one by one to coop and I’m ok with that.. just wanted them out of brooder prior to trip which it looks like we did! During the day I open nesting box top as well to let more light and airflow into coop. I think they may venture in coop a bit more now that they’ve slept in it.. thank you!

I would lock them up in the coop where they will be sleeping in the morning and open the door at noon and give them the option to adventure out by them selves. Then lock them back in the coop in the evening if they haven't gone in by them selves.
our plan tomorrow is to transition them in their current pen as the run is being put up. I heard to block off the full run for a few days so they see the coop as their safe place, then back the block (wood we have) after a few days, etc. We don't have a door yet, but have plenty of materials to make one.

Back
Top Bottom