Chick trying to hatch, membrane dried out, photo ...advice?

Yes please I would love to see your photos.
I will see if I can get the broody to accept a warm wet cloth, if not , that baby is coming inside with me and I will try to help it hatch...will keep watching for your photos...thanks SO much!

Michelle

This pathetic looking thing is AFTER I pulled as much of membrane off as I could without leaving it naked:

14951_img_2288.jpg

And this is 4 weeks later. ELMER!!!!

14951_img_2300.jpg

I was wondering if you tried to help already? Usually chicks pip and zip, meaning they crack the shell in a circle on one end without really completely removing any pieces until they are actually ready to push all the way out. This chick is missing a huge chunk of shell by its face so it cannot move around the shell anymore (pushing against the shell with their beaks helps them slowly manuever around and crack as they go). You are going to have to help this baby. I would not put it back under your broody and leave it or it won't make it. If you have a bator fire it up, if not you will need to use the broody for periods of time. You need to slowly help it hatch. It is important you keep the baby warm and moist, use a spray bottle with warm water or a wet washcloth. While you remove shell look for any blood. If there is blood you will need to stop and wait for several hours, it means the baby is not ready to come out yet. If you keep going you run the risk of it bleeding to death or being hatched prior to absorbing the rest of the yolk. If you don't have a bator than make sure it is damp and put it back under broody to keep it warm. Keep an eye on her to make sure she is keeping the baby warm and doesn't peck at the baby, especially if there is blood. Than repeat again. When the baby fully hatches there should be no blood running through the membrane around the egg. Good luck!

I didn't break any shell at all. This is exactly how I found the egg under my broody, I was puzzled to find it like this rather than just pipped and/or zipped. There is nobody else here except my husband and he hasn't been out in the chicken yard since yesterday.

Debi, your little guy is gorgeous!!! I appreciate the photos :)

I'm going to go get that egg and see if I can help the poor lil booger.

Michelle

Quote:
Patience, tweezers, and warm water. Clear the head first, then dip the beak in some water. They really need it after all that struggling for nothing. Then work on the rest of it. Don't worry about removing some feathers, it will be under a light. My Elmer had so many bald spots it wasn't even funny (It really is though - that pic still cracks me up)....

Quote:
Your welcome!!! Keep us posted. Us enablers need to know how things turn out. I have helped a total of 5 chicks out, and 3 have survived. One of the deaths was caused by a hatched chick pecking egg, and the other is still a mystery.

The baby is hatched! It did a big stretch before I was finished and has a teeny tiny bloody spot on it so I won't put it back under Mamma yet. I snuck a fake egg under her as I removed this one so she's snuggled down on the fake one happily right now. There is a very tiny bit of gunk not yet absorbed, I left that portion of the membrane be and the chickie is sleeping in the brooder box. I'll get photos posted as soon as I can.

Nayana, I'm guessing the Hen must have grabbed the shell, I just haven't ever seen one do that..it's got me puzzled big time.

I appreciate all of you listening and advising!!

Michelle

If only we knew what birds were thinking and why they do what they do!!!!
It is normal for chicks to have a bit of gunk, it was waste from their time in the egg. If the baby had an open swollen belly you would be able to see it and would see yolk. The gunk is not absorbed. If you can get it wet and gently remove it, it would be fine. Once that goop dries on it is hard to get off!
I am so happy everything worked out!!!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom