Chick vs. egg question - Day 22, one chick out

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LoriAS, Apr 9, 2009.

1. LoriAS

LoriAS Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    New Knoxville, Ohio
    I have made a lot of mistakes with this (my first) hatch. I currently have one chick out in a very full incubator. I know I'm not supposed to open the incubator, because I have 2 others pipped and other in various stages of incubation.

Concerns:

1. I know he needs to dry and fluff, but there is very little room in there.
    2. will he be ok if I just leave him in that full 'bator until the others hatch?

I know there is a cardinal rule to leave the 'bator close. As this is my first attempt I am trying to make up for other mistakes I've made along the way.

Currently sitting on hands even though it looks like the fluffy butt is going to hit his head on the fan or get caught in the side of the turner with the other eggs...any suggestions???

Sitting on hands,
    Lori

2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    just a thought to maybe help put it in perspective. The chick has more space now than it did in the egg. Relax and enjoy.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Just leave the chick be. I know it is hard. They can stay in the bator for up to 48 hrs.

4. LoriAS

Apr 6, 2009
    New Knoxville, Ohio
    Thank you both for your replies.

That is a good perspective Nancy! [​IMG]

My concern is the egg turner and the carton withthe other hatching eggs the chick is getting awfully close ot the heating element at the top of the hovabator.

But he will be ok, right?

5. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    If the chick gets too close to the heating element for comfort it will move away, I wouldn't worry about it getting burned, I would worry more about losing humidity by opening the incubator at this point than anything else... just my opinion.

6. LoriAS

Apr 6, 2009
    New Knoxville, Ohio
    Thank you! that is what I needed to hear!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by