Chick w/ Cyst? Tumor? I have no idea!

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
My little sultan chick has a weird looking...thing on the bottom of its chin. Today is the first time I noticed it but I think it's been there for a few days. I can see it when I open its mouth and it pushes his tongue out of the way. I'm worried it will continue to grow and eventually suffocate and starve the poor guy!!!

Any ideas of what it is? It's soft, squishy, and not inflamed looking. It almost looks like a blister full of water but I can't tell if it's just tissue or not.

Could it just be a small abcess? Maybe a splinter got in there or something. I'm pretty agressive, but I would sterilize a needle and poke it if it's soft and squishy. See what you can get out and put a little neosporin or blukote on it.

It's kept inside so I don't know how it could be bitten by something, and it isn't hard like an abscess is usually, nor is it inflamed...just swollen maybe. I do want to lance it and see what comes out, but I'm afraid of the chick shaking its head and me stabbing through the bottom of it its face!

I'm worried because he is having trouble drinking water or something. He swallows for a long time and then when he went to eat food he tried to swallow and started coughing/sneezing and made spit bubbles.

Last edited:
I just attempted to lance it with a sterile insulin needle and nothing came out of it. It looks more vulnerable from the inside of his mouth but I didn't want to try sticking a needle in there and risk it going through his jaw. I don't know how to describe this thing, but it's not hard like a tumor at all.

I'll just have to keep an eye on it and see what happens. Hopefully it'll go down with time, and if not...well I'll keep him happy until it's obstructed his mouth.

Back
Top Bottom