Chick w/lumps, sores.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GallusGal, Apr 15, 2011.

1. GallusGal

GallusGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    I noticed today that my little spraddle legged chick was feeling slightly thin. I flipped her over and was very alarmed to see several scabs on her belly, surrounded by swelling, as well as a fairly large (size of a large pea) lump that I can feel/see in her abdomen. She is acting fine and eating well but I am very alarmed, obviously. What could this be? Is it something that could be treated with antibiotics, or is this little chick doomed? I removed the scabs and there was no obvious pus coming from them, but a good deal of tissue swelling around them nonetheless. Very worried. I am willing to take her to an avian vet but I can't get an appt until at least Monday.

2. GallusGal

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Ok, I think our pea sized lump was the result of constipation - gave her a warm soak, she took a big poo, and the "lump" shrunk by about 50%. So that's a relief. Very worried about these scabby/swollen spots though! I have not been using medicated feed/water - should I start?

3. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Could it be mites, or some other irratation?

4. GallusGal

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    I am not seeing any signs of parasites on the bird, but I won't rule it out. I am not sure what would irritate her; she is being bedded on paper towel right now due to her spraddle leg for easier gripping, and I clean it daily. Could feathers that are growing in (she is at that age) be getting infected for some reason?

ETA: Maybe this will help:

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    The bird is a bantam chick, approx. 3-4 weeks, weight unknown (my scale is MIA at the moment). Her body condition is slightly thin at the moment, though.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    The bird is behaving fine. However, she has several open sores on her abdomen with surrounding tissue swelling.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    The sores must have emerged fairly recently; I hold her daily and felt them for the first time today, but they've probably been these for several days as I don't really palpate her abdomen daily (and that's how I found them).

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    She was mildly constipated today. A warm soak resulted in plenty of poop.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No active bleeding, but sores. I removed the scabs to see if there was any pus to express, and there was not.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I have no idea [​IMG]

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    The chick has been eating Dumor chick starter and drinking water. I change the water a few times daily. I am switching to Manna Pro medicated chick starter to see if it helps.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Normal.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    I gave the bird a warm soak and dabbed the open wounds with some betadine. That is all.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    IF this is something I can simply treat myself, I would rather treat her at home as the nearest avian vet is over an hour away and I imagine it would be a lot of stress on her. If she needs a vet, however, I can gladly take her.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    I will get one ASAP.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    She is currently being housed in a bin on paper towel that is changed out daily. She has a red lamp that is on 24 hours.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  5. GallusGal

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Added some additional info. Hoping it will help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by