Chick w/ something wrong

Wolfefarmyard

Crowing
6 Years
Aug 18, 2017
Gansevoort, NY
I just got 6 chicks in today, 4 Brahmas and 2 English Orpingtons from papas poultry shipped in.

I’ve noticed that there’s one Brahma chick that acts normal but then has bursts where it looks like it’s trying to scratch itself and rolls around breathing heavily.
Has anyone seen this before? Is it maybe something neurological?

I’ve attached a video, thanks

Poor little thing!

It could be something neurological - is she able to eat/drink on her own?
I would check out her head to make sure there's nothing in the ears, eyes or beak.
Do you have Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry cell or other chicken vitamins that contain E and B1? I would give her vitamins for a few days to see if that would help.

Poor little thing!

It could be something neurological - is she able to eat/drink on her own?
I would check out her head to make sure there's nothing in the ears, eyes or beak.
Do you have Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry cell or other chicken vitamins that contain E and B1? I would give her vitamins for a few days to see if that would help.

She is able to eat and drink but has these bursts frequently.

I do have nutri-drench and already put some liquid vitamin B in their water. I’ll go ahead and add some nutri-drench too!

As far as I can tell I don’t see anything wrong with her head. I first thought that maybe something was in her eye and bothering her, but upon inspection I didn’t find anything.

I would direct dose her with 1-2 drops of the Poultry Nutri-Drench twice a day, it has Vitamin E in it which may help with neurological conditions. B vitamins are good too (PND doesn't contain all of them) so if that's in the water great.

Sorry about your chick. It does look like something neurological, possibly seizures, but hard to know for sure. There is also a disease seen in baby chicks called AE or avian encephalomyelitis or epidemic tremors. But I doubt that this might be the problem since you got them from a hatchery or breeder, and it could be brain damage or seizures. I would give the chick a couple of drops of Poultry NutriDrench orally, and try to keep it safe. Here is some reading about AE:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/avian-encephalomyelitis

I am NO expert at all but in my experience I’ve had one chick before that I hatched myself do the same thing and it was her legs. her legs were slayed so I made one of those diy splints (found a helpful YouTube vid) and she was back to normal in 24 hours.
you chick might have something else going on though.
maybe if this is the case just to check stand her up on a table and see how she stands and if it looks like slayed legs. Although I’m pretty sure it’s not but that how my slayed legs chick acted before being cured

good luck

I am NO expert at all but in my experience I’ve had one chick before that I hatched myself do the same thing and it was her legs. her legs were slayed so I made one of those diy splints (found a helpful YouTube vid) and she was back to normal in 24 hours.
you chick might have something else going on though.
maybe if this is the case just to check stand her up on a table and see how she stands and if it looks like slayed legs. Although I’m pretty sure it’s not but that how my slayed legs chick acted before being cured

good luck
Good point!
@Wolfefarmyard can the chick walk normally?

I really hope that it is something as simple as splayed legs, which can be fixed with a hobble for 4-5 days. This is a good diagram for a hobble:

1588386112143.png

Back
Top Bottom