Chick walking on hock

lasersmomma1411

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2020
2 day old baby chick- walking regularly with one foot and the other, it won’t put weight on. It’s walking on the hock. It’s already starting to get swollen and red. This was my chick that was breech in the egg and I had to help out. It was very lively and pretty much flailed out of the egg. It looked completely normal until last night when I noticed it’s foot wasn’t planting and it was on its elbow of one leg. I’ve wrapped the joint, just trying to keep it from being rubbed raw. Is there anything that can be done? I tried making it a chick sling but it plopped itself out. Would wrapping its leg straight help? This was our first time hatching and it was so stressful, I’m probably not ever going to do it again. Any suggestions?

I have some chick vitamins with riboflavin and B12 that I have put in their water. I didn’t know about the liquid b12. I have it’s leg mostly straight with 2 band aids around the hock. I also put a boot on it because when it does put any pressure down on its foot, it flops on its side. I’m hoping for the best! It’s going ok so far. Thanks, everyone.

Back
Top Bottom