Chick was ok yesterday but something is very wrong.

Txbufforpington

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
I bought 47 chicks from mt healthy and all have been great and very happy. This morning I checked on them and one of my barred rocks was acting very strange. He/she was ok yesterday and this morning the chick was in the corner of the coop not moving so I picked it up and it was acting very strange and is unable to raise it's head up straight. When I try picking it up it will tuck it's head in between it's legs and walk backwards. I just don't know what may be causing him to act this way. Can this chick be blind? It can see my hand at close distance and his eyes aren't cloudy or anything. They are all 4 weeks old, could he of hit his head and made him be like this?

I had a jersey giant chick do that to me last year! I read up on crookneck but it seemed so odd that a vitamin deficiency would just hit one- I still gave her the polyvisol without iron that was recommended but as I thought about it more, I was pretty sure she had gotten stuck in a corner and hit her head... is there a likely source of injury in your set up?

Anyway, if you haven't seen it, this was the page I used as treatment guidance (and yes, I gave her prednisone)
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

welcome-byc.gif
I wish it was under better circumstances.
hugs.gif

Try giving her polyvisol without iron (human infant vitamins). Do this as soon as possible as they can go downhill very fast. Some pedialyte or gatoraid will keep her hydrated if she is not drinking well. A bit of yolk from a boiled egg mixed with some yogurt will help her get her strength back. Keep watch for any other symptoms.

My setup is mostly temporary, but there are some hazards...maybe it could of fallen off one of the 2x4 roosts I made for them. They are about 8" off the ground in a 10x10 coop with plywood walls and 2x4 studs and a dirt floor. Could they be overcrowding? There's really no aggressiveness that goes on in there I spend alot of time with them just watching them run around and never seen any pecking or fighting between them just some playing. I will be giving it some penicillin or amoxacillin my dad is bringing me tomorrow day early. Might this be a bad idea?

Quote:
Antibiotics won't help if it is an injury. I would go with the vitamins, it really sounds like crook neck aka wry neck. IF it is an injury the vitamins will give it a little boost and a better chance of recovery. I'm still thinking it is not an injury though.
idunno.gif

You are feeding medicated chick starter?

Last edited:
Dumor didn't used to be medicated. Unless the label says medicated with amprolium, it's not. Since cocci are in the soil, you might want to get some Corid and add to their water in case this is the problem. I don't know if it is, but cocci can take them out pretty fast if it is.

Good luck; I hope this works out well.

Ok thank you very much for all the info I'm feeding him and giving him pedialite to see if he gets better as well as giving him vitamins. He looks more severe than yesterday and I hope he can recover. I'd really hate to lose one, I thought I had been doing so good. I'm going to TSC to see if they have corid. Is it made specifically for chickens or is the one for cows the same thing?

Update on this chick. I let him out for awhile after giving him vitamins in the water and he is doing great now with no further treatment.

Back
Top Bottom