Chick will not stop peeping!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by meggers32, May 5, 2009.

1. meggers32

meggers32 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2008
    Mt. Vernon, WA
    Hi there, it is me again!

One of the chicks that I put in our brooder today will not stop peeping, it has been doing it ALL day. It is not a small content chirp, it is SO LOUD. Why is it doing it? I have food/water/stuffed animal, etc. What else do I need to do? I just took her away from mom today, if things don't go well, should I put her back? Will the mom reject them both. By the way, there are only 2 of them so far that the mom has hatched.

I do not think I will get much sleep:(

2. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    If it was with the mom and you then took it away from the mom thats probably why its peeping. Its trying to find the mother.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd guess it bonded to mom, so you will just have to wait it out til it calms down. Can't say about putting it back with mom as don't know why you took it away.

4. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    put them back with mama.. she will take care of it

5. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I had an incubator hatched chick that was the only egg that hatched, I put it in the brooder with a stuffed animal, but it peeped all day long, I finaly gave it to someone who had chicks around the same age, I think it was lonely.
    But then I also had 1 that peeped for several hours after I moved it to the brooder, and when I finaly noticed it had been peeping alot, I checked on it, and noticed it had a severe leg deformity, and was probably in pain, so Hubby Culled it.

I hope it's just lonely, because that is fixable by either putting it back with mommy, or a trip to the feed store for a few friends.

6. meggers32

Jul 8, 2008
    Mt. Vernon, WA
    I was just hoping that there was something that I could do. I kind of had to remove the 2 chicks (2 days old) while we wait for the others to hatch. There was another hen being aggressive. I only have so much room and there were 3 hens who wanted to lay on the eggs. Also, the nest was a catbox bottom with high sides, so when the chicks were needing to get food and such, there was no room to put food and water, and they couldn't get in/out of the nest either. Someone advised me to remove the chicks as they hatch to ensure they get food/water and don't get hurt by the other hens. Anything I can put in there with them? The other chick is not saying a word though. Any thoughts?

7. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    i had one chick that I hatched in the bator and it peeped all day and night. He had everything he wasn't lonely there were 11 more chicks. Soon he died =[

8. meggers32

Jul 8, 2008
    Mt. Vernon, WA
    Will the mama reject them now? It has only been less than a day since I removed them from her.

9. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i put a tea towel in with mine and they snuggled into it- might try that....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by