chick will only eat food around the edge of the feeder

rcstanley

Songster
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
Utah County, Utah
This is my first time raising chicks, so the questions are beginning...I have a little golden sex-link that is not eating out of the holes in the feeder, she just eats the light coating of feed that is sitting on the edge of the feeder beneath the holes. The feeder is a normal chick feeder I picked up at the IFA. I was wondering if she can get enough food this way.

She's the smallest of the four chicks, but they are all different types and older, so I can't use them for comparison. She seems active enough, just small. She also gets picked on a little (stupid silkie). She is the only one I know for sure to be a she, so I'd like her to do ok. Any ideas?

More than likely she's just fine because she IS eating, but she might just be a little finicky?

Have you ever thought of adding a supplement/treat to the feed to make it more interesting? Like crumbled up mealworms or Chickie-Puffs from MyPetChicken.com?

Mine tend to do better when there's just a thin layer of feed in the bottom of the dish. I also crumble up a couple mealworms into their feed & they go crazy pecking at the dark specks & the shiny bottom of the tray. For the first few days I would put a saucer in there too for them to scratch & pick at. Anything you can do to make it more interesting & stimulate natural behavior will make the little peeps happy!

Good luck & keep us posted!

Amanda =)

What kind of feed are you providing as MandaMunky pointed out some chicks are finicky ...

Here if you haven't tried this make some hard boiled egg's and take one and remove the shell and mash up real good then serve most chicks will eat this but check to see if your little chick is also one of the ones digging in as this is like giving candy to a baby but much healthier ......

Pancake is the best name ever!! The warm water mash is a good idea too because it's food & water in one... which sounds obvious but it's of the up most importance that the little peeps sty well hydrated. Good hydration enables excellent thermoregulatory development as well as a hardy appetite & healthy digestion.

Last edited:
Tried scrambled eggs yesterday, chicks were scared of them. Today I made a mash and put some of the eggs in it and sprinkled dry food on top. When I went back in, it was mostly gone and the sex link was happily scratching around in it. Better yet, she was there with the silkie and it wasn't picking on her. (She's smaller than the silkie chick.) Now I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'm planning on still leaving the dry food in the brooder all the time for the others, but how often should I feed the mash?

Tried scrambled eggs yesterday, chicks were scared of them. Today I made a mash and put some of the eggs in it and sprinkled dry food on top. When I went back in, it was mostly gone and the sex link was happily scratching around in it. Better yet, she was there with the silkie and it wasn't picking on her. (She's smaller than the silkie chick.) Now I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'm planning on still leaving the dry food in the brooder all the time for the others, but how often should I feed the mash?

Hard boiled egg's should be given for the first week twice a day and 1 egg per 1 to 10 chicks and a couple times a week after that as too much can and will cause the runs or blockage this I have see all too often ...

The egg that has not been eaten after 20 minutes should be removed and discarded or given to another pet if so desired ..... Also do not refrigerate unused (pealed) boiled egg as it may not affect you but it will affect your little ones as salmonella will start to grow and not worth the risk ..

When you finish the bag of chick feed if that is what you are using you might want to look at some Turkey Grow whit 20% protein as the protein will aid in fast growth and a healthy body along with great feathering .....

Buy the way scrambled egg's normally have grease or oil not what you are looking for the boiling wont cook out so much of the nutrients you are trying to give to them little guys .... So steaming or boiling please .....

gander007
old.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom