Chick with a bad foot

hannahsbelle

In the Brooder
May 20, 2021
I just got some silkie chicks yesterday. This little one's foot seems to be folded and is causing her to stumble some when she walks. She seems to be perfectly fine aside from this, eating, drinking, and following her siblings around. The leg seems to be ok as well. It supports her weight. But is there anything I can do to help with this foot? I've attached a picture below and I can try to get a video later.
IMG_20210519_120634049.jpg

IMG_20210520_094509202.jpg
IMG_20210520_094506793.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, you can use either one of those:)
Thanks! If you don't mind, could you look at this picture of my chick's boot? She really did not like it so I ended up having to use vetrap and bandaids with the cardboard. She seems very uncomfortable and I just don't want to be hurting her.
IMG_20210521_111017648.jpg

that looks good. You need to do it as early as you can and leave it on for 2 days. You might even have to make a little hammock for it , like a sock in a cup if it just cannot walk.
You need to leave it on it, later on once it gets stronger the chick will just keep kicking it off and yes it will hate it but hopefully it will keep it on long enough.

Make sure it has access to food and water even if you have to place some bottle caps right in front of it. Hand feed it for the two days if you have to. It might not seem worth it but if you can fix the foot in 2 days it will be.

Thanks! If you don't mind, could you look at this picture of my chick's boot? She really did not like it so I ended up having to use vetrap and bandaids with the cardboard. She seems very uncomfortable and I just don't want to be hurting her.
Is she able to walk on it?
If not and she seems uncomfortable, trying taping as shown in this thread, you will need some fairly wide tape, but if her toes are from deformity, then they may not stay. To get tape or bandaids off if they are sticking to skin, use a little mineral oil

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/curled-up-chick-toes.1139759/post-17697924

that looks good. You need to do it as early as you can and leave it on for 2 days. You might even have to make a little hammock for it , like a sock in a cup if it just cannot walk.
You need to leave it on it, later on once it gets stronger the chick will just keep kicking it off and yes it will hate it but hopefully it will keep it on long enough.

Make sure it has access to food and water even if you have to place some bottle caps right in front of it. Hand feed it for the two days if you have to. It might not seem worth it but if you can fix the foot in 2 days it will be.
She is definitely worth it! And she is walking around and I'm making sure she can get too the food and water easily. Thank you!

Is she able to walk on it?
If not and she seems uncomfortable, trying taping as shown in this thread, you will need some fairly wide tape, but if her toes are from deformity, then they may not stay. To get tape or bandaids off if they are sticking to skin, use a little mineral oil

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/curled-up-chick-toes.1139759/post-17697
She is walking luckily! I will get some mineral oil for when I need to remove the boot. Thanks so much!!

Back
Top Bottom