Chick With a Black Comb...What Breed is it??

This is a pic of a Black Jersey Giant from Ideal's website. Maybe that's what she is. Now that I think about it, my neighbor got some of these in an Ideal order we split last year. They looked just like yours when they were younger. Black combs and feet/legs. The combs eventually pinked up and then turned red as they matured. She still has them, and they're fantastic layers!
Nikki

"Mine are the same size as chicks, they get taller at about 3 months, then fill out later"

Huh boy...she might be a Jersey Giant, then...this will be interesting. About as interesting as an RIR roo. By the way, there is almost definitely an Australopithecus roo, and our Rhode Island is probably one, too... There are ten other hens in all, will they get along, or do we have to divide up the flock. Don't want to give up one of them, we've done enough of that, argh

"Mine are the same size as chicks, they get taller at about 3 months, then fill out later"

Huh boy...she might be a Jersey Giant, then...this will be interesting. About as interesting as an RIR roo. By the way, there is almost definitely an Australopithecus roo, and our Rhode Island is probably one, too... There are ten other hens in all, will they get along, or do we have to divide up the flock. Don't want to give up one of them, we've done enough of that, argh
You can have several roos together if they are raised together. I have also had someone integrate a juvenile roo into a large flock with an adult rooster successfully. You may want to keep both and see what happens. I have heard some folks say that RIR roos may be more aggressive than the average roo. If either one is aggressive, I personally would cull him right away. Don't like being stalked or attacked by my chickens.

As for the Australorp v Jersey Giant theories, they have different base skin/leg colors. If you pick up your chick and look at the bottoms/undersides of the feet, they will either be pink/white or yellowish. Australorps have white/pink skin and the Jersey Giants have yellow skin. Also, the size of the chick depends on the egg size, not the breed. The Sex link with have whatever color base the parents have so it is not predictable (though more yellow skinned breeds are typically used to make the sex link). A black sex link will start maturing with a hint or more of gold in the hackles/neck area.

Woah, I just got a load of my spelling on my last post. Totally did not mean to write "Austrlaopithicus roo". :) What I meant to say was "Australorp roo".

We'll separate the flock if the roosters start getting nasty with each other, but since they're being raised with each other, it'll probably be okay...thanks for covering the possible breeds everybody. Whoop, too late to eat the Rhode Island, he already has a name
big_smile.png
We'll keep him around.

I'm sure it will be fiiine...I'm sure it won't be a "crutches event"!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom