Chick with a crooked leg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazyforchicks, Jan 21, 2011.

1. crazyforchicks

crazyforchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    I hatched out a chick a week ago and its leg is crooked, It is really healthy but the leg is twisted kind of to the side instead of down. I really want to save this guy because there is nothing wrong with it otherwise. Is there any kind of boot I can put on this chick that can train the leg to grow straight? If I try and turn the joint it will move in the correct way, Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

[​IMG]

2. adyhart1

adyhart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Quote:Had the same thing happen to one of my RIR i hatched out... I put a splint on it but i dont know if i didn't do it right or if it was too far gone but i couldn't get it straight.... There is a link on here that showed me how to do it.

3. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
  4. greatergraceoffbg

greatergraceoffbg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    I have had this happen as well, and I tried many ways to help the chick develop properly. Nothing worked in the long run. I took a chick out of a cast after two months and the leg was sideways in a few hours, which my vet predicted it would be. It lived another two months and then it died. I am too soft hearted, I still just let em live till they die because I can't kill em![​IMG]

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I hope you find some help on here. I had a chick which had the same problem who I ended up euthanizing around 4 weeks because it wasn't gaining weight and appeared stressed all the time.

Afterwards, someone suggested that it might have been a dislocated leg, which a vet can fix. I hope you figure out what it is!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by