Chick with a crooked toe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nutmeg1980, Sep 22, 2009.

1. nutmeg1980

nutmeg1980 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2009
    Madison, WI
    I just noticed that one of my 9 week old BA chicks has a crooked middle toe. It's pretty bad, but she seems to be walking around fine, and it doesn't appear to bother her, but I'm afraid as she grows bigger it may become a problem and throw her off balance.

Is this something I should be concerned about, or am I just overly cautious? I've read that crooked toes can sometimes be caused by a vitamin dificiency. Would it be worth it to get her a supplement?

Thanks!

2. Chicky Mama

Chicky Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Mountains of N.E. CA
    As far as I know the crooked toes come from low humidity while incubating or hatching.We had one hatchling with a curled foot so I made a masking tape shoe and fixed it in a week.At 9 wks. I'm not sure if it's fixable or really a problem for an adult.

3. UK Chicken rancher

UK Chicken rancher Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2009
    Lewiston, Idaho
    I had a chick with a curled up foot as well. I just kept an eye on it as she grew, she is now 5 months old and runs around on her crooked toes just fine! Sits on the roost fine as well, does everything the other birds do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by