chick with a weird crop

lupusdaemonis

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2023
Sanford, NC
I'm not at all new to raising chickens, but this is a first for me. A couple of my hens recently hatched chicks of their own, and I've noticed that one of them has this odd look to its crop. I'm wondering if this is simply an over full crop or if it may have ruptured into one of the air sacs? It's like the crop goes off to the side and feels more thin there, and as you can see, is more transparent. However, the chick doesn't seem to have any issues, and the food passes through just fine. Just this look is rather concerning and I'm unsure if it's an injury between the crop and an air sac, or if it's just a very overfilled crop. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it a ton 🙏🏼

IMG_20230825_204130251.jpeg

I don’t really know what is causing that. Chick’s crop can appear very full at times, and some may swallow air. Does the crop seem smaller at times before it eats again. Is it pooping normally?
Yes, thankfully it definitely seems smaller before it eats, and it is pooping normally. Everything seems to pass through fine, just this part really sticks out and feels more thin than the rest of the crop area. Like I can feel and see the food more directly than through the front, if that makes sense?

Chickens of all ages are good at conspiring to worry us with strange symptoms, but young chicks are experts in this arena. Thankfully, most chicks throwing these worries at us manage to resolve them and never become sick from them.

I had a new chick many years ago that was pooping practically straight water from day one. It was very loud, too, so I couldn't pretend everything was just fine. The little thing was just as active as the others, never slowing down as one would expect a chick to do that was sick with something. Her watery poop, from close observation was likely caused by an obsession with drinking water. This was a quirk that she never grew out of, and she died at age eight years never having been sick a single day in all that time.

I would offer this explanation for your chick's strange crop appearance - that it is due to very thin down in that area combined with a tendency to pig out. Some chicks are as obsessed with food as my chick was with drinking water. While my chick kept her strange watery poop her entire life, I predict your chick will appear more normal after she grows her first feathers in and they cover her strangely ballooning crop. Also, the crop will become less conspicuous as her size increases.

But do keep monitoring the chick's behavior. If this is an air sac issue, eventually it would affect her behavior if it's due to airsaculitis. She would become lethargic and then something would need to be done about that.

Chickens of all ages are good at conspiring to worry us with strange symptoms, but young chicks are experts in this arena. Thankfully, most chicks throwing these worries at us manage to resolve them and never become sick from them.

I had a new chick many years ago that was pooping practically straight water from day one. It was very loud, too, so I couldn't pretend everything was just fine. The little thing was just as active as the others, never slowing down as one would expect a chick to do that was sick with something. Her watery poop, from close observation was likely caused by an obsession with drinking water. This was a quirk that she never grew out of, and she died at age eight years never having been sick a single day in all that time.

I would offer this explanation for your chick's strange crop appearance - that it is due to very thin down in that area combined with a tendency to pig out. Some chicks are as obsessed with food as my chick was with drinking water. While my chick kept her strange watery poop her entire life, I predict your chick will appear more normal after she grows her first feathers in and they cover her strangely ballooning crop. Also, the crop will become less conspicuous as her size increases.

But do keep monitoring the chick's behavior. If this is an air sac issue, eventually it would affect her behavior if it's due to airsaculitis. She would become lethargic and then something would need to be done about that.
I see, yeah the food obsession could very well be the case with this one. It's something I've noticed for awhile, but wanted to keep an eye on. So far she's not slowed down at all and can pass poop just fine, but I'll definitely keep monitoring her. I appreciate the feedback :)

Back
Top Bottom