Chick with badly twisted leg...suggestions? PICS AND VIDEO

Thanks
smile.png
My little girl (lol) isn't growing as fast as the others either but boy can she go! Now I have to find diapers small enough to fit her
wink.png
My husband has even fallen in love with her. She will get in his lap at night and he will cover her up with a blanket and let her watch TV with us, but she has a fit when we try and move her. We named her Princess because thats what she thinks she is, lol.

I have one like this also--its a LCO that is 3 weeks old. I tried using a pipe cleaner and vet wrap and "splay leg" technique also. It's hard keeping them confined--it tolerated it for about a day. I've decided to let it be. It eats and drinks and socializes so I will keep a keen eye on it when it is older.

I am so glad I stumbled upon this thread. I am new to chickens but not new to 'special pets' and was given a chick from TSC about 1 1/2 weeks ago due to her strange leg.. I brought her to the vet and we tried the 'treatment' for splay leg hoping that's all it was. Here is a photo of her (still hoping its a her!!) on day 6 of the treatment.. So we decided it clearly wasn't working and she should learn to walk the way she was given. Seems to be getting around just like your chick was! Happy, eating, drinking.. it breaks my heart to watch but I feel she isn't suffering. How has your chicken managed? Gives me hope that my little Wheatie is going to be okay after all!

My sweet "Baby" as we call her has the same issue. Only she drags herself around, and goes in circles a lot. I have kept her in the brooder with other baby chicks so far. I am afraid to put her outside with the others, she is tiny an Old English Game bantam. I guess she will just be my inside chicken. She is so sweet and like most of you I have tried everything and have decided to just let it be. As long as she can belly up to the food and water I think she will be okay. She has actually gotten bigger than her brother and sister because of all the special treatment.
tongue.png

I have a silkie bantam with what I believe to be the same problem. I worry because he seems to becoming lamer. He eats, drinks, and seems to poop just fine. He can get around with a pronounced limp. We give him occasional epsom salt soaks and have tried to massage his tendons on his bad side, but I worry about him. He does not seem in any pain and is totally calm when we massage his hocks.

My day old chick has one leg bent at the knee with the palm pointed up. I don't think it will bend straight out like the other leg. It tries to walk using its wings on all four. What to do?

I want to THANK YOU. I have been worried sick over my chick who has this same issue. Where her leg is held out to the side almost backwards. I am unable to cull a chick I think working in a chick research and development for A very large chicken company). But if necessary I was ready to head to the vet but before I did I googled chicken with bad leg and your post popped up. I am a big baby when it comes to seeing my animals with issues. But I want to truly thank you for easing my mind s little. I have been babying her with all the love and care I can and have grown super attached to her. Praise the lord our babies are going to be ok. :)

My little quail is three weeks old and still challenges others at the feeder, so I let him live. He doesn't know he's handicapped.

We just took in a chicken with the same issue. I hear it can be due to a vitamin deficiency. I was wondering how your story worked out? Our girl is 4 months old and I would love to give her a good life.

I am so glad I stumbled upon this thread. I am new to chickens but not new to 'special pets' and was given a chick from TSC about 1 1/2 weeks ago due to her strange leg.. I brought her to the vet and we tried the 'treatment' for splay leg hoping that's all it was. Here is a photo of her (still hoping its a her!!) on day 6 of the treatment.. So we decided it clearly wasn't working and she should learn to walk the way she was given. Seems to be getting around just like your chick was! Happy, eating, drinking.. it breaks my heart to watch but I feel she isn't suffering. How has your chicken managed? Gives me hope that my little Wheatie is going to be okay after all!
What did you do for this chick. I have a month old chick just like this. He/she is smaller than the others.

Back
Top Bottom