CHick with broken leg and chick with aspiration, Help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sheeshshe, Aug 9, 2009.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Songster

May 6, 2009
    MY friends chickens got attacked today and lost most of her chickens.

There are 3 remaining... one has a broken leg, one sounds like it has junk in its lungs like it has aspirated something, and the other is fine.

She's going to put some ointment on their wounds, but what can she do for the broken leg and the aspiration?

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Songster

May 15, 2009
    I think no one has answered your post because you have so much to deal with. I'm really sorry about you loss. It is very painful.

I've never treated a broken leg but I know others have and if you search 'broken leg' you should be able to find sufficient help.

The chicken that sounds like it has aspirated probably has lung damage from a puncture wound from teeth or a broken rib. Again I wish I could help but a search might give you some information.

Keep them quiet and warm inside so you can watch them. Keep food and water close and make sure they are drinking. Hydration is very important so if you have to give them drops of water or Gatorade into their beaks go ahead. Use a dropper and drop the liquid on the top/side of their beaks so the liquid goes into the beak slowly and they can swallow and not get it into their lungs.

Good food is important and poultry or infant vitamins (Poly Vi Sol without iron) is good. You can find it at CVS. One drop of baby vitamin twice a day for at least a week.

I wish I had more knowledge to help you.

I hope everyone gets well.

3. threehorses

threehorses Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    You have PM.

4. tuffy

tuffy In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    A few years ago I had a chicken that suffered a broken leg. She apparently was stepped on by our horse. My daughter and I got 2 popsicle sticks and wrapped the leg in a splint fashion with vet wrap(the sticky bandage that sticks to itself) I seperated her from the rest of the flock. At first she would not put any weight on her bad leg. Within a week she started putting it down gently. Next week she was able to roost. 3 weeks in isolation and she was much better. She was able to keep it dry so we didn't even change the bandage. When she seemed better we removed the splint and I let join her friends, even tho she walked with a pronounced limp and after a few months she was as good as new, no limp even.
    A vet told us (my daughter is a vet tech) a chicken has a very high metabolic rate and therefore heals very quickly.
    Worked for us! Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: