Chick with broken legs and wing (No experience raising chickens)

@jvls1942 I understand your opinion and thanks for rationalising the cost to me. But my partner was with me when we found the chick and she is definitely on board with trying to keep it alive if it's possible for it to have a proper and painless life.
If it was found by my father or brother (owners of the chickens) it would most definitely have been left to it's fate or killed on the spot.
After originally deciding to let "Nature run it's course" and leave it where it was i decided i wasn't okay with doing that and went back to try and do what i could for it.
I realise it is "Just a chicken" but i also think i wouldn't be okay with myself if i left it to die knowing there may have been a chance it could live with my help.

Regardless, If i decided to "Put it down" i am not aware of any methods to humanely kill a baby chicken and if i did i doubt id be able to do so anyway. Either way, I'd need a vet, so i might as well try and save it if the vet thinks it's possible rather than have it killed to save a few bucks.

I know you are feeling sorry for this chick.
but , don't let emotions get in the way of logic.
to buy a healthy chick would cost about $3.oo.
to take this one to a vet is going to cost $50.oo
or more..
remember, it is just a chicken..
personally, I would put it down..
it's up to you. talk it over with someone close to you. spouse, sibling, parent ???
......jiminwisc.......
I breed, so I WILL put down a chick quickly...

But that's just a sad point of view that a chick's life is a $3 value and a waste if it can be replaced. :(

Despite the fact that I don't have cash to take all my animals for vet treatment (and choose survival of the fittest to a degree)... plenty of people do have the cash and value life more than that... even if it grows up to be a cockerel. And for some who don't have the heart or skill to put an animal down, vet euthanasia is good alternative.

OP... vets very often have less understanding about fowl than we do. Avian vets seem to be hard to find. But hopefully any will do their best to help you!

I also wanted to say that I agree with other posters chick starter is the absolute best feed and should have been # 1 in my suggestion of what to feed.

Although attempting to fix splay leg is OK in hatchlings (I cull)... DON'T try it on this baby.. probably just make things worse, the dangling foot is either dislocated or broken... I have had a chick that wasn't hatch with splay end up with it after some flock antics.

If I wasn't able to dispatch... you bet I would do my best to keep it warm and comfy until I could get proper help or it did pass. It's a hard choice when we wanna give everyone a chance to live. I would keep watering what you can that doesn't inflict too much pain and maybe offer some egg until you get to the vet and maybe the store. :fl

Thanks @EggSighted4Life As you said, i am 100% one of those people who dont have the heart to "dispatch" a chick :O
And as a breeder i assume it would be insanely expensive/non-profitable to have all animals in this situation euthanized by a vet, where as a one off chick wouldn't be so bad.
I guess people who breed or live around this sort of thing there entire life grow a kind of de-sensitivity to death and euthanasia. I for one try to value all life equally and plan to do everything i can to give this little dude a good life or a peaceful death. :)

Like I said, I would have put it down.
I don't breed. It seems funny to me that someone chasticises me for pointing out the value of the bird, while they are more concerned with the value of a not so perfect bird.
I am not really so heartless. I have the facilities to hatch over 1300 eggs at a time.
I have fixed dozens of splayed legs successfully..
I am a realist. IMHO splayed legged chickens are not worth the trouble to mess with.. Unlike breeders, I do not kill chicks just because they don't measure up to color standards..
I have been at this game for over 50 years.
please don't preach to me..
read , my whole message, don't just pick out a passage and judge me on that..

.....jiminwisc......

I guess people who breed or live around this sort of thing there entire life grow a kind of de-sensitivity to death and euthanasia.
Not really a de-sensitivity... but more of a true understanding and acceptance about the circle of life.

Also, I only breed for myself as a hobby... and it cost WAY more than buying meat or eggs at the super market. But benefits my mental and physical health in ways I never would have imagined.

Every time I take a life... it is NOT without a period of emotional recovery, especially if it was an unexpected one. But I'm OK knowing I NO longer support the atrocities of "big chicken"! :tongue It helps to lessen (not eliminate) the blow.

Bless that babies sweet little heart and yours! :hugs

Like I said, I would have put it down.
I don't breed. It seems funny to me that someone chasticises me for pointing out the value of the bird, while they are more concerned with the value of a not so perfect bird.
I am not really so heartless. I have the facilities to hatch over 1300 eggs at a time.
I have fixed dozens of splayed legs successfully..
I am a realist. IMHO splayed legged chickens are not worth the trouble to mess with.. Unlike breeders, I do not kill chicks just because they don't measure up to color standards..
I have been at this game for over 50 years.
please don't preach to me..

.....jiminwisc......
In my previous post i didn't intend to offend, It's just our personal views vary, while i understand you suggesting to put the chick down is an act of mercy not cruelty i as a person am physically incapable of killing an animal even if it is for mercy so would require the aid of an experienced person and/or professional regardless. While i don't have a large amount of lives in my care, i can afford to take this one to a vet as it is a one off time. However, you are obviously incredibly more experienced and knowledgeable than myself about this topic i do thank you for your time and information. (I had never heard of splayed legs until you mentioned this)
Not really a de-sensitivity... but more of a true understanding and acceptance about the circle of life.

Also, I only breed for myself as a hobby... and it cost WAY more than buying meat or eggs at the super market. But benefits my mental and physical health in ways I never would have imagined.

Every time I take a life... it is NOT without a period of emotional recovery, especially if it was an unexpected one. But I'm OK knowing I NO longer support the atrocities of "big chicken"! :tongue It helps to lessen (not eliminate) the blow.

Bless that babies sweet little heart and yours! :hugs

It's nice to see when people have respect for the lives they are in control of and from where their meat and animal produce comes from :) I for one am trying to live a cruelty free live by not consuming the corpses or animals at all and in no way supporting the big "factory farms" :D

I understand we got a little off topic lol, but i would like to thank you both for your knowledge and advice :D

Sorry, I didn't mean any judgement! :oops:

All I meant to express was that we don't all have the same goals and thoughts. :)

I agree I would have put it down, I too am a "realist". :hmm

I don't cull chicks for color faults. I raise them and eat the boys and sell the gals to people who don't care about standards. I do cull for deformities like bent toe or splay leg... as even though I can find homes for them... I'm not gonna push off a less than good bird onto my community and have them possible breeding a bunch of deformities. I have successfully fixed a splay and didn't successfully fix or cull a set of bent toes caused by an extended power outage when I wasn't home. That was my first experience with that type of thing. And now I know I will cull for those things.

Wow, 1300 eggs at a time! :eek:And not breeder? Must be a serious chicken mathematician. :p

Pretty sure I NEVER called you heartless. Just said it was sad that the value of chicks life was according to the replacement cost of a chick.

I don't disagree with you... and think it's a VERY valid point! Just the OP already said they were gonna do what they could.

I don't preach... just share my perspective same as everyone else on here. Anyways, wasn't meant as a personal attack and I did read your whole post. Thought it was pretty good... I picked out the part that I wanted to share about. No hard feelings?! :pop
Regardless, If i decided to "Put it down" i am not aware of any methods to humanely kill a baby chicken and if i did i doubt id be able to do so anyway.
There are actually quite a few humane ways to put a chick down. I won't spend time suggesting them since it isn't your intention though.

Glad to see your chick ate some yogurt and perked up for a moment. :yesss: Yes, extreme sleepiness should be expected. Aside from being new born the body will be using as much energy as it can to recover from the ordeal and to heal. But if you don't mind posting updates in the thread currently as they happen... since their will be lots of things missed by those of us already participating if you only update your original post. :cool: :fl

Glad to see your chick ate some yogurt and perked up for a moment. :yesss: Yes, extreme sleepiness should be expected. Aside from being new born the body will be using as much energy as it can to recover from the ordeal and to heal. But if you don't mind posting updates in the thread currently as they happen... since their will be lots of things missed by those of us already participating if you only update your original post. :cool: :fl
Oh sorry, i added this to the main post before anyone replied i think, not too sure, its been a long night lol. 4:10am as of writing this post, i tried sleeping but am too worried about this little bugger haha.
The chick definitely knows when food is around and seems to have a tonne of energy while feeding. Im about to give her/him another teaspoon of watered down yogurt and try again for some sleep :)
I have it here next to me, and its been quite some time since it let out what i think to be a painful lot of chirping, so thats good, every so often it's letting out a few soft chirps and having a wiggle around. so i think it's comfy and in minimal pain at the least :)
I really feel like i have no idea what i am doing it will be a miracle if it survives though :fl

Oh sorry, i added this to the main post before anyone replied i think, not too sure, its been a long night lol. 4:10am as of writing this post, i tried sleeping but am too worried about this little bugger haha.
The chick definitely knows when food is around and seems to have a tonne of energy while feeding. Im about to give her/him another teaspoon of watered down yogurt and try again for some sleep :)
I have it here next to me, and its been quite some time since it let out what i think to be a painful lot of chirping, so thats good, every so often it's letting out a few soft chirps and having a wiggle around. so i think it's comfy and in minimal pain at the least :)
I really feel like i have no idea what i am doing it will be a miracle if it survives though :fl

:hugs:hugs

I'm glad you will be able to consult a vet and get their opinion. Regardless of the outcome you are doing what you can for her-taking time to see that she is as comfortable as possible, keeping her warm, hydrated and eating.

It does look like she has splayed leg, but the legs are very swollen which to me is very concerning. Could be a sign of infection, disease or from fluid buildup.

I wish there was more things to suggest other than what everyone else has mentioned, hopefully the vet can point you in the right direction. Even if this little one doesn't make it, know that you have loved, cared for her and given her a chance-that means a great deal.

Update:
I woke early this morning to the little chick chirping happily for food, i fed her roughly 3 teaspoons of yogurt/water mix and she fell back asleep while eating.
I was ecstatic to see her livelier than ever, looking for food and she even wiggled her butt in what i assume was excitement when i peered into her box.
I placed a hot waterbottle/towl into another box with some fresh paper shreddings and had her at the vet as early as possible, the vet seemed to be knowledgble in poultry telling me he kept his own chickens, he discovered the left leg was completely seperated from the hip joint, the right was broken at the ankle and she seemed to have circulation issues in the right foot as it was swelling and darkening. Her left wing had also fractured and slightly pierced the skin. While he felt it may be possible to splint and treat her it was likely she would lose the foot or succumb to blood poisoning down the line. We made the difficult decision to euthanize, as keeping her alive seemed the crueler option she was administered a needle and went to sleep peacefully.
I'd just like to thank everyone for the helpful advice and knowledge. As well as the kind words and thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom