Chick with Crooked Neck HELP

BirdyMojo

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2023
Hello all,

I have a Lavender Orpington chick that I got from a local “breeder” if you even want to call her that. I got four chicks from her, and literally all of them are having issues. But I’m most concerned about her. Around age 2-3 weeks I started noticing some strangeness with her neck. It is a little crooked and there’s a bulge on the side of her neck.

I just went to a farm vet today, and she really didn’t give me any answers. She said we could do X-rays but it wouldn’t really help with anything. She said it felt hard like bone, and she confirmed it’s not a crop impaction or sour crop. She said we may just end up having a gimpy bird if she survives.

She’s eating, drinking, pooping, scooting around like the others (just not as fast or coordinated). The only issue is because her neck is crooked, and I’m assuming she’s in pain, she can’t preen properly. She tries to preen a little bit as she can but she quickly loses stamina. The vet gave me meloxicam to help with any inflammation.

My question is, could I somehow help her? Could I possibly rehabilitate her neck? I really want to see this bird thrive and be comfortable. Could I possibly splint her neck? I feel like that vet may have been more well versed in cattle, horses, and pigs, not so much on poultry. So I want more opinions if possible. By the way, she’s approximately 6 weeks old.

Thanks for your time!

C06DE8F9-428F-4A57-AEEE-26DD6465C90D.jpeg
7BF8BEAA-3ED8-4FE4-83E6-0614AF70B969.jpeg

Hello all,

I have a Lavender Orpington chick that I got from a local “breeder” if you even want to call her that. I got four chicks from her, and literally all of them are having issues. But I’m most concerned about her. Around age 2-3 weeks I started noticing some strangeness with her neck. It is a little crooked and there’s a bulge on the side of her neck.

I just went to a farm vet today, and she really didn’t give me any answers. She said we could do X-rays but it wouldn’t really help with anything. She said it felt hard like bone, and she confirmed it’s not a crop impaction or sour crop. She said we may just end up having a gimpy bird if she survives.

She’s eating, drinking, pooping, scooting around like the others (just not as fast or coordinated). The only issue is because her neck is crooked, and I’m assuming she’s in pain, she can’t preen properly. She tries to preen a little bit as she can but she quickly loses stamina. The vet gave me meloxicam to help with any inflammation.

My question is, could I somehow help her? Could I possibly rehabilitate her neck? I really want to see this bird thrive and be comfortable. Could I possibly splint her neck? I feel like that vet may have been more well versed in cattle, horses, and pigs, not so much on poultry. So I want more opinions if possible. By the way, she’s approximately 6 weeks old.

Thanks for your time!

View attachment 3534381View attachment 3534383
Did the vet say anything about it possibly being wry neck? Kind of suprised that is one of the first suspicions

Bulge ... which side of her neck is it? Possible the crop?
Have you felt her neck, is it the spine that's crooked/stiff or the muscle? Could you try carefully try to straighten it but do NOT force. It's very possible due to how it was positioned in the egg or wry neck is the first thing that came to mind. You could give it Vitamin E supplement for Wry Neck, if it's the spine then I'm lost ... Thinking that's why the Vet recommended an Xray.

Did the vet say anything about it possibly being wry neck? Kind of suprised that is one of the first suspicions
She didn’t mention it. I’m just at a loss here. They’re the only vet that would see the sick chicks I have. Do you have any suggestions?

Bulge ... which side of her neck is it? Possible the crop?
Have you felt her neck, is it the spine that's crooked/stiff or the muscle? Could you try carefully try to straighten it but do NOT force. It's very possible due to how it was positioned in the egg or wry neck is the first thing that came to mind. You could give it Vitamin E supplement for Wry Neck, if it's the spine then I'm lost ... Thinking that's why the Vet recommended an Xray.
That’s what was frustrating. I was willing to do the X-ray, and she dissuaded me and told me it wasn’t worth it.

The vet said it wasn’t the crop. It’s like towards the back where the bulge is. It is hard as a rock. The vet said it felt like what a bone would feel like under the skin.

Is there a particular brand for vitamin E? Or a particular amount to give?

Update on this, I asked my boyfriend because we kind of had to piece the vet visit together because we both have crazy schedules. He said she said it was not wry neck.

I’m not really certain of her reasoning though. Other than her mentioning that chicks with wry neck can’t generally take care of themselves. Which she can. Other than grooming.

Update on this, I asked my boyfriend because we kind of had to piece the vet visit together because we both have crazy schedules. He said she said it was not wry neck.

I’m not really certain of her reasoning though. Other than her mentioning that chicks with wry neck can’t generally take care of themselves. Which she can. Other than grooming.
Honestly - I'm blown away that the vet would pass over wry neck. It looks and sounds like a textbook case. Obviously I'm not there and I'm not a vet, so potentially there is something glaring that im missing.

Here is a very good article. A majority of the time it is going to be a deficiency, but it will explain other causes as well.

A chick is okay to take care of themselves depending on the severity, with wry neck, but it can also get progressively worse. Here is that article.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/wry-neck-causes-treatment-and-prevention.67732/

That’s what was frustrating. I was willing to do the X-ray, and she dissuaded me and told me it wasn’t worth it.

The vet said it wasn’t the crop. It’s like towards the back where the bulge is. It is hard as a rock. The vet said it felt like what a bone would feel like under the skin.

Is there a particular brand for vitamin E? Or a particular amount to give?
IF it's hard, then it's possible her spine however, I would try the Vitamin E supplement, won't hurt. You can get those "human" tablets over the counter ... wry neck in chicks Rooster Booster has a Poultry Cell vitamin that's good to keep on hand.

I have a 6 week lavender orpington, doing the exact same thing. This is my first chicken, but I immediately suspected wry neck. I started vitamin E two days ago. I shall update her progress! I really want her to be OK. Also. I did use my hands to slowly straighten hers up and I feel pretty certain it's her neck. It's almost making a S or C shape.

Back
Top Bottom