Chick with cross beak *pics*

We first noticed the crossed beak on one of 3 Americauna chicks when they were one week old. Being new chicken owners, we had no idea what would happen and how much worse it would get. For the first couple of weeks she grew just like the others. The only difference was that she seemed to eat all day long, voraciously. The angle of her beak seemed to worsen every couple of days. By the time we moved the girls to their large coop and enclosure "Little Bit" was noticeably smaller but no less "flighty" and energetic. It made me sad that the other chicks were enjoying pecking at the ground and running around chortling when they caught a big bug. We fed Little Bit in a deep pan so that she could peck and scratch to her heart's content. When we tried separating her from the flock for a couple of days so that she could eat undisturbed, she panicked so badly that we let her rejoin the others and just kept an eye on her so she would always have a full bowl. The other chicks grew so fast and looked more and more mature but Little Bit stayed small and still looked and acted like a baby. Even so, the other's never picked on her. In fact, when they were still sleeping on the floor of the coop Little Bit would snuggle under them to keep warm for the night. When most of the hens graduated to sleeping on the roost, Little Bit just didn't have the strength to fly up and be with them. One big red hen (that was the same age but 4 times larger than our little girl) always stayed down with her. We tube fed her the last week of her life because she wasn't able to take in enough food. We thought that, just maybe, she'd survive like others we'd heard about. My husband slowly fed her part of an earthworm last week. She actually ran around, showing off to the other chickens before she was able to gulp it down. I let her out of the enclosure to follow me around a few days ago. Her flock mates were quite jealous. It may sound silly, but I just wanted her to feel like a regular chicken. We started to see a decline in her health the last two days. It was like she'd given up. We were going to have to put her down today. Last night we lost "Little Bit", 13 weeks from the day we brought her home. She passed in her sleep under the wing of a wonderful, big, red hen. I have never seen a little creature try so hard to live. I know they're only chickens, but this little gal taught us a lot in her short time here. Never give up.

That's so sad! I have an Americana check that is cross beaked also. She had hers right from the start and so far it doesn't look like it's getting any worse. She seems to be eating and drinking fine and I also have her food in a large bowl too. She still in a brooder. She is three weeks old today. I hope she doesn't get any worse and to make matters worse she only has one eye. I have no idea what's going to happen with it when it's with the other chickens. I would almost imagine that they're going to be picking at her. We'll see I guess. Sorry about your bird.

Thanks Sssharon. Good luck with your girl. I know a lady who lost her scissor beak a few weeks ago at 4 years of age. Sometimes they do ok.
That's so sad! I have an Americana check that is cross beaked also. She had hers right from the start and so far it doesn't look like it's getting any worse. She seems to be eating and drinking fine and I also have her food in a large bowl too. She still in a brooder. She is three weeks old today. I hope she doesn't get any worse and to make matters worse she only has one eye. I have no idea what's going to happen with it when it's with the other chickens. I would almost imagine that they're going to be picking at her. We'll see I guess. Sorry about your bird.

Last edited:
This is my little Memphis. She is 9 weeks old. The beak has gotten progressively worse, I hope it does not get any more severe. She seems to have no trouble eating so far, I just love her, she is a very pretty Ameruacana. I do have one question though. If I hatch out her eggs will she pass on her cross beak to her chicks. Or is it kind of hit and miss? I am not a breeder, I just love the blue eggs they lay. So the chicks would stay with me. O just would not want to hatch one out that is any worse than Memphis.

This is Cottontail. You can see her beak is severely crossed. Can a chick this bad survive? I sent my vet friend the article on Penetran and am going to the feed store tomorrow to ask about salts.She looks like she is eating,but she is no where near here Ameracauna sister in size. They are a day apart in age. Breaking my heart - these are our first chicks.

e
this is quozi our chick born a week ago, as you can see he has a cross bead, this was taken at 2 days old. all his bator mates were fine, so had put this down to a drop/change in temp during incubation. he also only has 1 eye. he seems to be able to eat and drink ok but he is loads smaller than his friends. I have taken him out and put him in beside our chicks which were born yesterday and today and he's even smaller than them.
he seems lively and really friendly (could be due to the extra handling)
having put it down to the incubator (first time it's used and was cheep excuse the pun) but I have just found another in the process of hatching, which also has the cross beak. any one know what causes this? below is a pic of a couple of the batormates. the eggs are our own, from our ex layers running with 8-9 cockerels or various breeds and mixes but none related to these hens. (I refer to them as ex layers as we run a free range egg business and these ladies were past peak production so were retired oviously they are still laying as we have eggs lol). never had this before and common advise says to cull, but if he can live a happy life I think I should give him a chance. quozi and quozito could be from the same hen butmight not be. totally different incubator and different weeks hatch x

Do you know how to apply the Penetran and how it is supposed to fix the cross beak? Also how much of the salts? When do I give it to them? How does it help my cross-beak?

Thanks,
Catherine

Cottontail took a turn for the worst. She was in my arms most of the day, seemingly leaving us. I gave her some Bach Rescue Remedy to make the fear of transitioning lessen. But that perked her up a bit. Now it is a waiting game. She is too weak to eat of to have me feed her. I pray for a miracle or smooth transition.

Cottontail took a turn for the worst. She was in my arms most of the day, seemingly leaving us. I gave her some Bach Rescue Remedy to make the fear of transitioning lessen. But that perked her up a bit. Now it is a waiting game. She is too weak to eat of to have me feed her. I pray for a miracle or smooth transition.

that's so sad, we lost our quozi not long after I posted the pic of him, we have another chick who looks the same, my sons chick he hatched himself with his own incubator, i'm hoping he survives for my sons sake. still wonder if I should dispatch cruel to be kind, but I want to give him a chance x

Back
Top Bottom